• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jukari21

Jukari21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

First off, excellant product! Secondly, we use  your product everywhere in our house, anything from laundry, to washing dishes, to cooking, while doing homework. Yes... we watch too much TV...

Anywho....

Synology NAS is rising in a big way, and you should get some of that pie! Please find a way to port the Air Video Server to Synology DSM, you might even be able to get Synology to fund your quest!

I've read posts saying that NAS can't support Air Video transcoding... I'm hesitent to believe that since I'm currently only using 50% of my Ram and 1% of my active CPU.... I'm currently running a DS1812+... (See Attached)

Which has:

CPU: 2.13GHz, with floating point

RAM: 1 Gig Stock (explandable up to 3 gigs)

Even if the software doesn't run at it's finest in this moment in history NAS isn't going anywhere, and industrial processors are eventually going to be bundled into NAS... You really have nothing to lose, except the money from NAS owners.

Thank you for listening.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.JPG

• Hologos likes this

#2 oRBIT2002

oRBIT2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

I agree, running this on a Synology NAS would be awesome, Plex needs some competitors that's for sure. :) Transcoding in realtime might be difficult but some kind of non-realtime conversion (like the "download"-mode) might come in handy on a slower NAS, for watching the movie a little bit later.

#3 reedl

reedl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

It would probably be capable of doing with no transcoding since the processor D2700 is extremely slow compared to things like the i3, etc.  OTOH you could watch previously transcoded videos.

Anyways, the best solution is to have a different computer that is not your file server be your video server.  ON my video server machine I run Airvideo (both versions), streamtome, iTunes, TVersity (to watch the video on my PS/3), and Playon which allows viewing internet video on my PS/3.

This way my file server does not get bogged down by transcoding, etc.  It makes everything work much better.

#4 jimbrechts

jimbrechts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

I don't think that a synology is strong enough to transcode video's.

They have a wide range of products and i found out that most of their base models are just strong enough to run their own OS.

i've installed some webservices (CP, SB, SabNZB) on a Synology DS112j and it can't handle it. (slow, other apps don't start, etc..)

Thats their most sold model, so i don't think it's a good idea..

This way my file server does not get bogged down by transcoding, etc.  It makes everything work much better.

I agree..

• sepetdav likes this

#5 oRBIT2002

oRBIT2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Transcoding might not be necessary when playing movies on iOS devices. Most HD-videos should probably play fine if remuxed in realtime to mp4 instead (just the way it works today usually?). Synologys own Video Station does this already, however that app have some other bugs instead...

• sepetdav likes this

#6 scrutiny

scrutiny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

The Synology DS214Play has 

• 1080p Full HD Video Transcoding on the Fly (Learn more)

http://www.synology....support/faq/577

Is this sufficient for Air Video Server?? If so, can we please have a NAS version please

#7 Seiqo

Seiqo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

Support for the ds214play would be awsome.

+1

#8 neverdoubt

neverdoubt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

Intel Atom D2700 that embedded in your machine is not capable of transcoding 1080p video. It is too slow!.

It can barely "play(not transcoding)" 1080p videos.

1% CPU usage tells nothing.

Your CPU uses 1% of 10 when idle, but for trascoding 1080p videos, we need more than 20 or 30.

#9 neverdoubt

neverdoubt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

The Synology DS214Play has 

• 1080p Full HD Video Transcoding on the Fly (Learn more)

http://www.synology....support/faq/577

Is this sufficient for Air Video Server?? If so, can we please have a NAS version please

CE5335(DS214play CPU) has special H/W transcoder. This model is capable of transcoding 1080p without a heavy workload on CPU.

But, as far as i know, most of transcoding libs do not support the H/W transcoder in EvanSport platform. Without a help of the H/W transcoder , CE5335 cannot transcode 1080p.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Synology, NAS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users