8 replies to this topic

#1 Roccofan1

Roccofan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:08 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the great product. I would really appreciate having a way to quickly scroll down a long list of videos. Right now I have to constantly flick my finger. Instead i would like to touch the right side of the screen and have a drag button bar something appear that allows me to quickly scroll down to the bottom of my video list.
  • ricardoks60, susannavu69 and mavisrj18 like this

#2 RodgerW

RodgerW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Since there is no way of scrolling to the bottom in iOS quickly (except for accelerated swiping), adding the tableview alphabet on the right would be a nice feature request for AVHD ... for sure!

As for the tableview request. I personally would hope that if implemented, the section headers be hidden, so the list still looks flat.

Also, for some like me, I have a lot of TV episodes where they are all neatly divided into appropriate folders on my iMac with naming starting with the episode #. So, for the tableview alphabet, my entire list would just be 01, 02, 03 etc. The tableview can obviously do numbers but if I could suggest perhaps removing the leading ## in filenames so that:

"01 Mole Hunt.mp4" would display as "Mole Hunt.mp4" with alphabet enabled.

NOT, trying to steal focus on this thread, but the leading zero could also be done like my request for hidden extensions. And this feature 'removing leading numbers for use in alphabet tableview' would tie together nicely.

• ricardoks60, laurelok2, hesterdt18 and 2 others like this

iMac 27-inch (Late 2013) • OS X 10.11.3 (15D21) • Air Video Server HD (2.2.1u1) • Air Video HD (2.1.4)

#3 David Thomas

David Thomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

The new version looks great, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't cope with large collections.

I've split up my files into four locations, but I must admit it's getting a little out of hand.  In Air Video the combination of the four collections makes it difficult to find the file I want.

I'd love to see:

• Partial match pattern searching.  eg. Find all files with the word 'thrones' in it - that would be great

• Quick alphabetical searching - say being able to jump to all files starting with 'g'.  May be a quick scroll - say multiple finger gesture to quickly scroll up

• Smart grouping of episodes - if something has a similar name but the only difference is naming of the episode (eg. E01 vs E02), then group them into virtual folders.  Often you can download series where the some files have a folder and others are just the file.  It would be great if the server could group like named folders and files together into virtual folders

• Smart file name filtering.  Lots of torrent files have dumb naming that includes the name of the person who posted it.  They often follow similar patterns - it would be great if the server filtered the names and grouped similar files together.  eg. '[ www.Torrenting.com ] - Veep.S02E06.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE' - it would be great if the tool stripped common naming like this so that you're left with 'Veep.S02E06'

#4 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

The new version looks great, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't cope with large collections.

I've split up my files into four locations, but I must admit it's getting a little out of hand.  In Air Video the combination of the four collections makes it difficult to find the file I want.

I'd love to see:

• Partial match pattern searching.  eg. Find all files with the word 'thrones' in it - that would be great

• Quick alphabetical searching - say being able to jump to all files starting with 'g'.  May be a quick scroll - say multiple finger gesture to quickly scroll up

• Smart grouping of episodes - if something has a similar name but the only difference is naming of the episode (eg. E01 vs E02), then group them into virtual folders.  Often you can download series where the some files have a folder and others are just the file.  It would be great if the server could group like named folders and files together into virtual folders

• Smart file name filtering.  Lots of torrent files have dumb naming that includes the name of the person who posted it.  They often follow similar patterns - it would be great if the server filtered the names and grouped similar files together.  eg. '[ www.Torrenting.com ] - Veep.S02E06.HDTV.x264-EVOLVE' - it would be great if the tool stripped common naming like this so that you're left with 'Veep.S02E06'

Not to knock some of these thoughts, but I would hope development would be spent on tasks that are not solvable through my own time and effort.  For example the last two items can be fixed yourself.

For smart grouping, if you take the time to pull all episodes of a season into the same directory and delete the extra folders.  Then this feature is no longer necessary.  The smart name filtering, again, I feel like it's quite solvable by simply renaming the files yourself.  True it takes quite a bit of time (believe me, I have taken a lot of time to manually do this for all my shows myself), but once it's in place, it's much more manageable to keep up with.

#5 RodgerW

RodgerW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

For me, I rename all of my files ... I am quite anal about it.  There are tools that do this quite well, and can even create folders based on naming etc.  A quick search online will yield decent results for apps/scripts etc that can do this for ALL OSs so I won't post examples here.  I side with 'macman104' on the fact that a little time and effort into renaming and sorting files properly will definitely render the specific requests for smart grouping and name filtering "unnecessary" for AVHD.

But then again, it is nice we have the forum now ... for requests.  If a dev says that a specific feature will definitely NOT be implemented, then we can find our own way of getting around it, or just deal with it and get on with the other requests :)

iMac 27-inch (Late 2013) • OS X 10.11.3 (15D21) • Air Video Server HD (2.2.1u1) • Air Video HD (2.1.4)

#6 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Roger, absolutely I'm glad we have the forums for requests, and by all means I'm not saying it can't be included.  I was just voicing my hope for other features to receive priority over those.

I was curious about your 01, 02, 03, stripping of numbers.  If the episodes are in order (like mine are as well, except I include season numbers, so like 401, 402, etc, even though they are in a Season 4 folder), why would you want to view them listed out of order?  If I understood your scrolling thing clearly

#7 RodgerW

RodgerW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

I was curious about your 01, 02, 03, stripping of numbers.  If the episodes are in order (like mine are as well, except I include season numbers, so like 401, 402, etc, even though they are in a Season 4 folder), why would you want to view them listed out of order?  If I understood your scrolling thing clearly

Well, this ties in with hiding extensions, and also either iTunes Playlist support or iTunes sorting options. Heck, if it just reads metadata from the file that would be nice for those like me, who tag everything appropriately with either iTunes or the other apps out there that do tagging.

But, when I say strip the 01, 02, or 401, 401 etc (Leading Numbers): I do NOT mean to re-sort the videos in the folders, JUST to remove the numbers from visibility.  Another app out there already does this, and it's one of the features I liked about it.  But that other app is not even close to AVHD.

#8 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Well, this ties in with hiding extensions, and also either iTunes Playlist support or iTunes sorting options. Heck, if it just reads metadata from the file that would be nice for those like me, who tag everything appropriately with either iTunes or the other apps out there that do tagging.

But, when I say strip the 01, 02, or 401, 401 etc (Leading Numbers): I do NOT mean to re-sort the videos in the folders, JUST to remove the numbers from visibility.  Another app out there already does this, and it's one of the features I liked about it.  But that other app is not even close to AVHD.

Ah got it!  Yes, that would be a neat feature (now you have me anal about going through and retagging everything, rather than just renaming it)

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

iTunes playlist support is definitely coming,  quick Scrolling is probably a good idea if implemented well. Removing leading zero would not be too difficult. On the other hand, Air Video should sort things right even without the leading zero (unless there's a regression, haven't tested this in a while). As for the rest, I'm not sure yet, I'll have to think about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users