• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bmoreno

bmoreno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

I am currently running the latest version of the Desktop server of Air Video HD on a Windows 8, 64bit, 24GB RAM, GTX660 1.5GB, with the latest VLC installed.

I am running the latest version of Air Video HD on an iPad running iOS 6.1.2.

Before I get any further, I was also receiving the error message below, but as soon as I installed VLC, i didn't receive it anymore. Just a thought for those that are still having issues and have not tried installing VLC.

air video hd gstreamer encountered a general stream error

My problem is that there is a lot of lag, degraded video playback. With the old Air Video app. I tried messing with the options, enabling the "No Bitrate Limit", raising others to the 1500 range but still no luck. It'll play in HD for a while, then it starts getting quite choppy.

With the old Air Video, I did not have this problem. The Global Settings in the old Air Video were as follows:

Max Resolution

Max Width - 800px

Max Height - 720px

Quality for offline Conversion

70%

Allow H.264 Video Passthrough

ON

Allowed Bitrates for Live Conversion

Local WiFi - 2048 kbit/s

Remote WiFi - 1536 & 2048 kbit/s

3G - 1536 kbit/s

I tried to enable the same settings through the new Air Video but so far I've had no luck. The only setting I see missing from the Air Video HD on the iPad is the: Allow H.264 Video Passthrough

I dont care how much LTE data I use, can you suggest the best settings for the best quality over 3G/4G/LTE connection?

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hi,

can describe what exactly it means choppy? If you go to Global Settings -> Conversion Profiles -> Playback / Remote Cellular what setting do you have selected?

#3 bmoreno

bmoreno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

I'm not sure how to explain it. But I'll try my best.

It's as if it goes from HD, steady and constant non-interrupted streaming to "stop, play, stop, play" low quality. Almost as if I went from WiFi to 3G connection and it's trying to buffer with very low quality. The old Air Video did not have this problem. It always played at full hd with no kind of interruption of any sorts.

Under Global Settings --> Conversion Profiles --> Playback / Remote Cellular, I selected 2048 kbit/s Constant Bitrate.

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

What is your internet connection upload speed? It looks like it switches to 64bit stream because it doesn't have enough bandwidth for 2048kbit/s. 

#5 bmoreno

bmoreno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

Not sure on LTE. Why is the option to deselect 64bit stream grayed out. Why not make it like the old Air Video where you had the option to deselect 64 kbit/s and ONLY select 2048 kbit/s or any other?

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

Hi,

there never was an option to disable 64kbit/s stream in Air Video on cellular network. That is a requirement set by for all applications in AppStore.

You can deselect the 64kbit/s stream on remote WiFi (where there is no such requirement).

By upload speed I meant the your home internet connection upload speed.

#7 bmoreno

bmoreno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

You're absolutely right, I must  have mistaken the option. I just checked the old Air Video and the default is set to always have 64 kbit/s (audio only) - required checked marked.

Now i'm experiencing a new problem. a black screen.

#8 bmoreno

bmoreno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

Upload speed at home is 5.51 Mbps. (but this makes me wonder if it is at all the upload speed since I do not have this issue with the old Air Video). I'm not trying to be hard-head here, just trying to think of all possible causes and see what it could actually be the problem.

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:36 AM

Black screen during cellular playback or regular? With old Air Video or new?

#10 bmoreno

bmoreno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

Blackscreen during cellular playback...with new Air Video HD.

keep in mind though....I have no issues at all with the old Air Video. I'm just using it as comparison.

#11 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

This is really weird, it shouldn't behave like that. Now switching to low quality (64kbit/s stream) is normal, but if network conditions permit it the player should back as soon as it buffers enough data. I plan to add feature that would speed-test the server in one of the future updates, because right now it's mostly just guessing.

It often happens that something else is using all available upload bandwidth, but if that were the case currently the old Air Video wouldn't work either.

Black screen shouldn't happen, even with 64kbit/s stream there should be 32kbit/s video and 32kbit/s audio. Have you tried killing the iOS app and re-launching it?

It might be worth trying to select the cellular bitrates one by one from smallest to larger and see which one the network can sustain. Although 5mbit/s upload should be plenty for all of them.

#12 bmoreno

bmoreno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

i will try different bitrates for sure. I'm also going to reboot my PC to see if that helps. I'll keep you updated.

#13 bmoreno

bmoreno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

So yea, restarting the computer fixed the blackscreen. but why would it happen in the first place?

#14 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

I must admit I have no idea. I can imagine restarting the device helping, but not the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users