• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

I use EyeTV extensively, the EyeTV "container" has within it a .mpg file, exported (without transcoding) makes this .mpg file readable by standard video players.  Whilst one can navigate to this internal .mpg file (using Air Video if the EyeTV archive is a designated folder on the server) it usually is not playable as (I think) it has a non-standard header and this fools the server applications and it wont play (usually it thinks the file is 5-10 times longer than it really is.

It would be really great if Air Video could play these internal .mpg files without exporting them.

I could supply a short EyeTV file so that you can see what it contains if required.

I would have thought this would be very popular with EyeTV users as at present using the EyeTV iOS application requires the file to be transcoded on the mac (not live) and so you end up with both the .mpg file and an .mp4 file within the container.  Alternatively one can export the .mpg file.

Any chance of doing this?

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

please submit the file. You can upload it here:

http://www.mediafire...54ce133b8c0cb0b

#3 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Uploaded, thanks for looking at this.  Note the upload site does not work with Safari only Firefox.  Clicking on the link "select files" does not open up a dialogue box to allow one to select the files nor is there the drag and drop option seen in Firefox.

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:22 AM

Hi,

I can't see are you sure that it uploaded right? I'm not sure about the problem, so far we didn't have any complaints about mediafire.

#5 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

Not quite clear what you are saying, are you saying you can't see the uploaded file?

MediaFire on Firefox says "upload complete" however the file is 472mb and it clearly wasn't uploaded.

MediaFire seems quite problematic

I have uploaded it to dropbox with the link https://www.dropbox....y36p/mhneStRya_

Can you confirm you can download it from there?

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hi,

I think the problem here could be that .eyetv is a bundle. It is not a file, it is a folder. When I look at the dropbox URL it has 3 files inside, but all those 3 are very small. Perhaps you could Compress the eyetv bundle (in Finder) and upload that?

#7 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

I think your right.  I zipped the file (still over 300mb) and it is very slowly uploading to the MediaFire website

#8 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

The file now says it was uploaded, were you able to read it?

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'm downloading it right now. Thanks!

#10 dkallan

dkallan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Agree that more naturalistic support of EyeTV native recordings (MPEG2 streams) would be great!

#11 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

I wish those were mpeg 2 streams :) It is something that seems to be mpeg 2 stream but it's not quite. This will need some work.

#12 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

strangely if you export it using the "MPEG Program stream" option which does not transcode produces file (.mpg) that play perfectly on Air Video.

#13 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yes, that creates a proper mpeg 2 file. It doesn't need to be transcoded. The data in bundle does use mpeg compression, just the format is slightly different, mostly related to timestamps.

#14 sjk

sjk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationEugene

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:23 AM

The data in bundle does use mpeg compression, just the format is slightly different, mostly related to timestamps.

Are they QuickTime-compatible? If not, why do they still insist on using the .mpg extension which makes QuickTime Player Player their default application?
Air Video HD 1.0.2 (iPad 2 [iOS 7.0.2]), Air Video Server HD 1.0.9 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.5]), 802.11g/n WLAN

#15 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi,

The "mpeg" file is stored in eyetv bundle so QuickTime shouldn't see the file inside. I'm not sure why they use mpeg extension for it. Probably because it's similar to mpeg, the compression is the same but bitstream format seems to be altered.

#16 sjk

sjk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationEugene

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

Elgato never explained it to me even though I asked several times (now years ago) and suggested an alternative extension (which I've since forgotten). I was just curious if anyone knew now; doesn't really matter. Carry on. :)
Air Video HD 1.0.2 (iPad 2 [iOS 7.0.2]), Air Video Server HD 1.0.9 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.5]), 802.11g/n WLAN

#17 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

Elgato never explained it to me even though I asked several times (now years ago) and suggested an alternative extension (which I've since forgotten). I was just curious if anyone knew now; doesn't really matter. Carry on. :)

Any progress on implementing this?

#18 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:50 AM

Any chance of getting a look at this, would providing a short eyeTV file be of any assistance?

#19 dkallan

dkallan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

For what it's worth, I have never had an issue playing back EyeTV files on Air Video or Air Video HD. I can do this without exporting. Maybe it is a specific codec I have installed on my Mac, but the Air Video Server is able to read the .mpg file in the bundle and transcode it for streaming in real time. The .mpg is truly MPEG, but it is one of the two streaming formats (Transport or Program Stream, can't remember) for OTA digital video. Maybe I'm able to do this because my EyeTV is using OTA with an antenna and not QAM?

I also wrote a scheduled script that runs regularly and creates a series of nicely named symlinks for current EyeTV content, giving me a structured way to browse my EyeTV content (by show and by new this past week). But having a proper EyeTV plug-in for Air Video HD would be awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users