• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Carsontl

Carsontl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hey guys I love the app and use it pretty much every day! When I'm at home I just push to my Apple TV but when I'm at my parents place they have a chrome cast that I would love to be able to push to. They are already getting support for iOS and YouTube and Netflix both already work for CC.

Thanks!

Carsontl

#2 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

I will copy a response from the developers on the old forums here

Just a follow up, chromecast support will be tricky, at least at this stage. I still didn't receive the device, but from what I can tell the development is not open and only whitelisted devices can be used for development. To whitelist a device a public and stable receiver URL is needed, which is problematic for Air Video since the receiver URL would be neither public nor stable (it would be the computer running Air Video Server). If anyone knows more feel free to correct me.

#3 Carsontl

Carsontl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:32 AM

Thanks Mac!  So it looks like no dice on the chromecast for now?

#4 sjk

sjk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationEugene

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:28 AM

So it looks like no dice on the chromecast for now?

Correct. Get your parents an Apple TV? :)

I don't know how/if Chromecast can access a personal video library so it's usable with clients like Air Video.
Air Video HD 1.0.2 (iPad 2 [iOS 7.0.2]), Air Video Server HD 1.0.9 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.5]), 802.11g/n WLAN

#5 Carsontl

Carsontl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Admittedly my dad's anti-apple haha, so it would be a wasted appliance in their house. Looks like I'll just be transporting my apple tv with me when I go there :)

#6 Xen

Xen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

I will copy a response from the developers on the old forums here

Just a follow up, chromecast support will be tricky, at least at this stage. I still didn't receive the device, but from what I can tell the development is not open and only whitelisted devices can be used for development. To whitelist a device a public and stable receiver URL is needed, which is problematic for Air Video since the receiver URL would be neither public nor stable (it would be the computer running Air Video Server). If anyone knows more feel free to correct me.

But wouldn't it be the client that does the casting to the chromecast device?  Or perhaps, should I say "could" do the casting instead of the server?  So essentially it would be a recast... I would think.  So for example.. I have my air video/hd server running on my pc.   My iphone or android device would be running the air video client.. whatever I view on it, would/could be cast to the chromecast device.   Or of course.. I guess the client could send a message back to the server to cast it to the chromecast device -- but I would think that would be more painful to implement and less efficient.  Though maybe you would want a different res for you chromecast device vs your iphone/android device, I don't know.   

But, anyway, I've been using air video for a good many years.. awesome utility... also bought the hd version as well.. all really good.

#7 Chimera

Chimera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Now that Plex has been released with Chromecast support (if you're a Premium subscriber) maybe there is more hope for Air Video HD to support it?  Clearly Plex is able to stream local content without using a browser (directly from the server) so the stuff about "public and stable URLs" isn't needed.  This feature is my #1 request, as it means I can finally free my iPad from being tethered to the HDMI cable for Air Video HD streaming.

#8 jtnave

jtnave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

Google just released the SDK for ChromeCast, so hopefully this will help in adding the feature to AVHD! 

http://www.androidce...ased-developers

#9 eisa01

eisa01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

Any update on this? Would be interested in such a feature.

#10 dburr

dburr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

+1.  I too would like to see Chromecast support.  And the SDK is now officially public.  You (the developers) still need to to whitelist your Chromecast device while you are developing and testing, but once you release your app (take it out of beta/testing status) anyone will be able to use it.

Edit: I see in another thread that AVS is using HTTP Live Streaming 5 protocol.  Fortunately the Chromecast does support this protocol, so it would seem that Air Video HD support for the Chromecast is definitely possible from a technical standpoint.

https://developers.g...cast/docs/media

https://developers.g...ast/docs/player

Disclaimer: Although I am a developer, I don't work for Air Video nor do I have access to the source code, so I obviously don't know how Air Video works internally, so I am just theorizing here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users