• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mipmap

mipmap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

I have a strange issue with lots (all? Not sure) of my mp4 files. This is what happens:

1. Have an mkv original fine, with standard h264 + any audio format.
2. Remux it without re-encoding the video + convert audio to AAC, if necessary, (I use Subler for this) in an mp4 file. I do this to be able to use the file on other devices as well.
3. Try to stream the mp4 over local net using Air Video HD.

Result: video stops for buffering repeatedly. The weird thing is that streaming the mkv file ( using air Video HD server for remuxing video on the fly) works flawlessly. So mkv format fine, mp4 file not so good even though the actual contents are the same.

It's not the network and not the mp4 file itself; downloading the mp4 file to the iPad using Air Video is very quick and playing it locally after download works fine as well. The files are on an external drive connected to my mac. It feels as if when there is no remuxing involved the server simply doesn't keep the drive active, or for some other reason only reads chunks of data and then waits, but when there is remuxing, data flows in a steady stream. Weird, as I said.

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well, with direct MP4 streaming the server acts as a simple HTTP server. So if there are any buffering issues they are caused by client, which we have no control over. You can however disable direct streaming and force MP4 to always be remuxed (just like MKVs) in Global Settings -> Conversion Rules.

#3 mipmap

mipmap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

Thanks, that workaround seems to be working fine!

Still a bit curious though if you have any idea why the client inside the app on the iPad would have these problems. Would be interesting to know :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users