• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ric0ric

ric0ric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

I’m rather new to streaming but have done so for a year or 2 via a Playstation 3 (PS3). Now though with PS4 such streaming is not possible. I’ve just discovered Air Play HD which works beautifully streaming to my iPad. If I buy an Apple TV (3?) am I going to be able to stream from my desktop Mac to Apple TV (and then on to my TV) or do I have to go via my iPad?

Thanks

• Tequila1pr likes this

#2 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have some older Macs - so via your iPad or iPhone.

I do this for video I want to watch and then Trash. As to storing it in iTunes to re-watch.

Have AVHD server software on your Mac running. I made a folder on my desktop called Watch I put video in. Have that folder in AVHD.

Open AVHD on your iPad - it will see your desktop running AVHD

Select a video, in my case the Watch folder

Use Airplay to send to your AppleTV from your iPad

Works flawlessly

Newer Macs you should be a able to send directly to your AppleTV via Air Play.

• ric0ric likes this

#3 ric0ric

ric0ric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Danny hi,

Many thanks for your advice. I can get movies to stream onto my iPad. I was asking if it was possible to stream direct to Apple TV. I guess it’s not possible then.

Thank, Ric

#4 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

You can, but you need to install the AVHD software first on your desktop.

Then using AVHD on your iPad to access your Mac running AVHD, just touch the Airplay icon on iPad to send video to AppleTV. Your iPad can even lock itself, and the video still plays. Then you can use the AppleTV remote to control. It is very well done my InMethod. More Apple like than Apple. 

Sorry first response not clear.

#5 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

I’m rather new to streaming but have done so for a year or 2 via a Playstation 3 (PS3). Now though with PS4 such streaming is not possible. I’ve just discovered Air Play HD which works beautifully streaming to my iPad. If I buy an Apple TV (3?) am I going to be able to stream from my desktop Mac to Apple TV (and then on to my TV) or do I have to go via my iPad?

Thanks

Since the Air Video HD client (which you need to browse and remote-control the Air Video Server) doesn´t run on a Mac, this doesn´t work. You currently need an iDevice for that.

#6 ric0ric

ric0ric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

Danny, Sunrise, Very many thanks for your advice. I guess I’ll use my iPad to go to the Apple TV (which I still have to buy) then go via Apple TV to my actual TV. It all sounds a bit convoluted but I guess as it’s digital I won’t lose any resolution. It’s good to know there are people like yourselves who generously advise. Cheers :-) 

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Well, the device is only used to initiate the streaming. Once the streaming is done, the Apple TV pulls the data directly from the server. Although given how AirPlay works, the device still needs to be in WiFi range.

#8 ric0ric

ric0ric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

admin hi, So does that mean that once a movie is streaming I can turn off my iPad? If so does it apply per session or do I need the iPad on for each movie (or episode) I want to stream/view?

Cheers, 

#9 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

admin hi, So does that mean that once a movie is streaming I can turn off my iPad? If so does it apply per session or do I need the iPad on for each movie (or episode) I want to stream/view?

Cheers, 

Only the display can be completely off for the purpose of keeping the stream alive, which is also the main contributor to power consumption. Shutting the iPad off completely would interrupt streaming, because AirPlay always needs the device to be in WiFi range while streaming.

In more simple terms, the client that runs on your iPad still acts (after you initiated playback) as a stream keep alive process, so the server keeps streaming directly to your Apple TV.

This is the same like when you want to play a video on the web and choose to watch it on your Apple TV. Your iPad only acts as an initiator to tell the Apple TV where it can find the stream and then the Apple TV will pull all the data directly from the source. If you want to skip the stream to a certain point for instance, your iPad still needs to be aware of the ongoing AirPlay session, so it can pass the selected Apple TV the needed information. 

#10 ric0ric

ric0ric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hi, that’s very helpful. Now though I’m thinking I might see if I can do without an Apple TV and instead buy a DLNA adapter for my TV. That way I should (in theory) be able to go straight from my desktop Mac to the DLNA adapter bypassing my iPad and saving the cost of the (more expensive) Apple TV. Any thoughts??

Cheers, Ric

#11 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

If the DLNA is capable of playing all your video formats then it might be a better alternative for you.

#12 ric0ric

ric0ric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

Admin hi and thanks. Regarding video formats; over the last year I have taken to using handbrake to convert all my videos. It’s efficient, free and can simply be set to batch convert a folder full of movies over night. That way I can make sure I have everything in PAL rather than NTSC and ready for playing at 1080p. Anyhow thanks to all for your various and very helpful advice. Cheers, Rich

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apple TV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users