• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

It would be great if AirVideoServer HD Could install and run as a proper Windows Service (using a specific account - to control access rights) so there would be no need to login to get the server running.

-Keyser

#2 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

It should be possible accessing Network Shares that way if you would allow destinations to be UNC paths instead of driveletters. By running the service as a specific user instead of SYSTEM i assume that users credentials are used when accessing UNC paths.

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

We do always access network paths using UNC (even if you share mapped drive). However even with service running under user account (which is tricky for most users to setup since you need to enter your password in service configuration) we still wasn't able to access password protected drives in most cases. It did work in some cases, but it was really inconsistent. 

#4 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Would it be possible to allow "run as a service" for all of us that does not use network shares anyways?

#5 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Btw. the inconsistency comes from:

1: either your machine should be in a domain and use a domain validated service account, or

2: the client and network share server should use the same workgroup name and both have an account with the same name and password.

Otherwise it doesn't work.

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

In some cases, once the "regular" user authenticated the network share the context was passed to the service and the service was able to access the share, but more often than not this didn't work. This is mostly issue with NAS that lot of people use, logging into domain or have same account name and password is not really option here.

Whether the server runs as a service or not is a build-time option. We'd have to ship two different builds, one for service and one regular. It is theoretically possible to do this on runtime, but I'd complicate the server quite a bit and we have things with bigger priorities that we need to address first.

#7 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

I can understand your concerns about access troubles. How about offering the "install as a service" as an option in the installer and distribute both installation types in the same build - just like logitech media server (former squeeze server) does?
You could make a disclaimer in the installer that network share access migth be troublesome

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hi,

this would work but it belongs to the "It is theoretically possible to do this on runtime" section of my last comment. The server was not designed to work in both ways in single build. It is certainly possible to do, but at this point we do have bigger fish to fry. I'd like to have it working at some point though as we did spent time building the server so that it can work as a service and it is a bit disappointing that we can't ship it like that.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'd just like to 2nd this feature request. I have a media server in the garage with all my content on it and only turn it on to access my network shares for watching on my Dune. Would be nice not to have to log in to an account just to start up Air Video. Understand the priority though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users