• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tomiy1

tomiy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

Has anyone else noticed that Air Video HD is longer connecting when on a cellular connection?

Local and Remote WiFi works just fine. This has been an issue ever since I upgraded my iPhone 7 to 10.3. (I am on T-Mobile btw)  

If anyone else with my setup can test it, it would be greatly appreciated. I want to know if its just me or its an actual bug in iOS 10.3 or Air Video HD that need updates from a change in how 10.3 works now. Thanks in advance!

#2 tomiy1

tomiy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:23 AM

https://www.reddit.c...gh5&sh=9a9270cb

It looks like you guys need to update your app for IPv6 support... it's a T-Mobile carrier setting issue where they want to be Apple compliant. 

#3 tomiy1

tomiy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:25 AM

"Apple told the dev community that they would be dropping support for IPv4 in 2016. In December, they disabled IPv4 literal translation to IPv6 addresses worldwide. This only affected carriers who ran pure IPv6 networks vs IPv4/IPv6 dual stack networks. In the US, T-Mobile is the only carrier not to have a landline business, so we did not have a large pool of IPv4 addresses, so we were a huge early adopter of IPv6 and never put in a dual stack. Our devices all have had IPv4 literal translation since the begining of LTE.

Apple wants to speed up the death of IPv4, so they made a change. T-Mobile pushed back, and eventually they turned it back on a few months back, but let the carriers know they were going to disable it again in the next iOS update.

So here we are. Nothing is "broken" on Apple's side, nor on T-Mobile's side. If your app is not working, it is because the app developer used an IPv4 literal; for example, they hard coded an IPv4 address into their app vs using a fully qualified domain name. This is extremely poor programming practice, and against Apple's developer policies... so Apple's official answer is "Update your app".

The only big carrier in the US that is affected is T-Mobile, because T-Mobile does not run an dual stack network. It sucks, because T-Mobile has been the most progressive major ISP pushing for IPv6, and Apple is punshing T-Mobile for that."

#4 tomiy1

tomiy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

More info here regarding app changes needed to support new IPv6 standard:

#5 tomiy1

tomiy1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:33 AM

I've heard from T-Mobile directly that they are no longer as of iOS 10.3+ and carrier version 28+ to change the carrier settings back to "fix" this (they basically begged Apple to allow them to fix it for 10.2.1 with carrier version 27.3).
Apple is adamant on only allowing IPv6 going forward.

It is going to be up to the app developers to fix the IPv4 literal issues in their apps...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users