• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dkallan

dkallan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

Some videos have bad metadata around the pixel/video aspect ratio, so that they appear distorted, squished or elongated when viewed in Air Video HD.

Many video player applications, including VLC, support the ability to adjust or override the aspect ratio.  It would be very helpful if Air Video HD offered this capability in its in-video options menu (next to brightness, etc).  Whether the resizing takes place on the iOS client or even if the pixel aspect ratio metadata is spoofed from the server, this feature would be most welcome.

The control could be a slider or it could pop up a row of selectable buttons like:

[Auto] [1:1] [4:3] [16:9] [16:10] [2.21:1] [2.35:1] [2.39:1] [5:4] [Custom]

It would also be nice to "remember" this setting for each video in the cache.

• specht15 likes this

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

This is something we could do alongside with timing adjustment, the tricky part is that all the adjustments will need to be done server side (because of AirPlay), so the feedback will be rather delayed.

• specht15 likes this

#3 specht15

specht15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:16 AM

This is a major request from me as well. All movies are coming in with huge black bars on top and bottom. I'm very used to the flexibility of VLC cropping and swapping aspect to make use of the whole screen. Really changes the watching experience.

You guys rock though, hopefully you can implement something like this in the future!

#4 specht15

specht15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

Any word on this?

#5 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Actually, I just worked on this today. However I'm not sure how aspect ratio switching can get rid of black bars (without completely distorting the video). The aspect ratio setting is intended for videos that have been muxed with wrong aspect ratio information (so they appear distorted by default).

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.PNG

#6 specht15

specht15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I just saw the post. The photo is now unavailable. I would imagine you'd have to crop & adjust ratio to avoid distortion. 

There are a few apps I've tried who include both options but AirVideo is by far the most consistent as far as overall quality.

I appreciate the progress though and will definitely keep checking.

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Just out of curiosity, are you unable to view the image even when logged in?

#8 Kubusiu

Kubusiu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

not able

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users