• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 omf

omf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:07 PM

I'm more intrigued that you wait to be notified from the forums rather than check in daily if your customers need support? So long in fact that your users believed your software is abandoned.

And also having support questions go unanswered.

Still waiting for any response at all on a bug reported April 13 using the officially-requested reporting mechanism.

#42 ciguli

ciguli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:30 AM

Another example of the importance of competition...

#43 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:00 PM

If you didn't get response to bug reported on April 13th, it's very likely that I've overlooked it. Same goes for private message. Fastest way to get response is sending direct email to support (at) inmethod.com

Also in general, there's very little I can do about connection issues. It always boils down either to software firewall or router misbehaving. Both server and client use fairly standard TCP connection, if the connection can not be established it means something else is in the way,

#44 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

Also, regarding activity on forum, I noticed that the busier I am working on Air Video the less I think about the forum. Definitely something to improve.

There is actually a real possibility for future server versions to be released as open source, I'm currently going through the code trying to determine which portions could be released and which need to be rewritten first. There's no ETA for this yet, it's a rather large codebase, but I'd definitely like for the development to become more transparent.

• perfecblue likes this

#45 omf

omf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:06 PM

Also, regarding activity on forum, I noticed that the busier I am working on Air Video the less I think about the forum. Definitely something to improve.

There is actually a real possibility for future server versions to be released as open source, I'm currently going through the code trying to determine which portions could be released and which need to be rewritten first. There's no ETA for this yet, it's a rather large codebase, but I'd definitely like for the development to become more transparent.

That would be fantastic.  I hope you're able to get to that point eventually.

#46 fb12

fb12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

If you didn't get response to bug reported on April 13th, it's very likely that I've overlooked it. Same goes for private message. Fastest way to get response is sending direct email to support (at) inmethod.com

Also in general, there's very little I can do about connection issues. It always boils down either to software firewall or router misbehaving. Both server and client use fairly standard TCP connection, if the connection can not be established it means something else is in the way,

I've noticed that I get regular connection timeouts if I don't disable the "Put hard disks to sleep whenever possible" option in the Energy Saver section of the Mac System Preferences. The server won't work more than a day. I don't have this issue with Plex media server that lives on the same machine using the same network settings etc.

Is there nothing that can be done to your software to prevent these timeouts? I'd like to be able to conserve some energy and put my hard disks to sleep.

Thanks

#47 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

Do you get connection timeout only when connected to server while in sleep mode, or also when connecting while the computer is awake?

#48 fb12

fb12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

I'm using a Mac Mini with "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off". Activity monitor sometimes lists the Air Video App as not responding in red text. So I have to Force Quit.

#49 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

Hi fb12,

next time this happens, can you sample process in Activity Monitor and send me the result to support(at)inmethod.com ? Thanks.

#50 fb12

fb12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

Hi fb12,

next time this happens, can you sample process in Activity Monitor and send me the result to support(at)inmethod.com ? Thanks.

Hi Admin,

I've sent you an email with the Activity Monitor data as requested. Thank you

#51 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:31 PM

Thanks! I got the files, looking into it now.

#52 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:48 PM

fb12, can you give this release a try? I found and fixed a potential deadlock thanks to the data you have provided, but it's tricky to reproduce so I wasn't able to test the fix properly.

http://forums.inmeth...beta1-released/

If the problem persists another sample would help me.

#53 fb12

fb12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

Will test over the next few days. Thank you.

#54 vstshd

vstshd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:41 PM

I hate to be that guy but - come on InMethod.  This thread has been going for months now and only minor update beta server release to show.  Any updates you can give us?  You've said before that it's still in development but this is the longest I've seen between updates.

#55 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:46 AM

Well, the Apple TV client was just updated, and I'm working on the server full time just as I have been for past months. Entire server codebase is being modernized, piece by piece. There's new multiprocess server architecture already in place (so that when transcoding or analysis crashes the module can just get restarted without entire server going down), entire server IO is being replaced by asynchronous implementation based on libuv, etc. These are necessary to eliminate the technical debt accumulated by design decisions I had to make 5 years ago when supporting OS X 10.6 and Windows XP was absolutely necessary. This is a painstakingly slow process where I basically had to make new empty server branch, take code class by class from current version, clean it up, modernize it, put it to new branch. It also means that unless all pieces are in place, there's nothing to ship or test. And there's a lot of pieces... But all of this is necessary in order to keep the server code from getting stale.

In the meanwhile, the current server branch is still being maintained of course.

• perfecblue, tdoane78 and vstshd like this

#56 vstshd

vstshd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.  Is there any ETA you can give us, or new features you're planning on?  I was actually talking more about the iOS client.  I've seen the server updates which are great.

Edit:  I'm a dev as well, and I get the strain.  A roadmap would be great.

#57 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:26 AM

There's a client redesign in progress, but doesn't make much sense to make huge changes to client without bringing substantially improved metadata support, which in turn needs server support. I also don't want to give ETAs, I did that couple of times before and got it pretty much always wrong.

• RXDI, vstshd and IceIceBird like this

#58 vstshd

vstshd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:02 PM

I understand that it takes time.  I'm just curious of your dedication, a roadmap (the recent side-project of yours really threw me off), and far-out estimates of release dates.  I have a long-time eco system between my NAS and AppleTV and I'm wondering if I should take the plunge using Plex.  For all I know your next client update will be just a bug fix release.  A roadmap and a blurry time schedule for that would be nice.

I'm not trying to be a jerk.  I know iOS apps always die eventually, and revenue eventually runs out.  Just wondering what's up so I can optimize my home media over AirPlay.

#59 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:39 AM

You're definitely not being a jerk :) I'm well aware that Air Video metadata support is currently lacking and if that's the biggest priority for you plex seems like a good choice. On the other hand there is a really solid playback pipeline with soft subtitles support (working with both chromecast and AirPlay), h264 passthrough optimized for iOS devices, hardware accelerated transcoding that can work around intel driver bugs when using external GPU, proper side by side and PiP multitasking and some people may even prefer approach that doesn't put that many layers between your files and the player and the fact that there's nothing to index and nothing to scan.

That said, metadata support is important, but unless there is something really solid to show I don't feel like delivering half baked solution.

#60 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

You're definitely not being a jerk :) I'm well aware that Air Video metadata support is currently lacking and if that's the biggest priority for you plex seems like a good choice. On the other hand there is a really solid playback pipeline with soft subtitles support (working with both chromecast and AirPlay), h264 passthrough optimized for iOS devices, hardware accelerated transcoding that can work around intel driver bugs when using external GPU, proper side by side and PiP multitasking and some people may even prefer approach that doesn't put that many layers between your files and the player and the fact that there's nothing to index and nothing to scan.

That said, metadata support is important, but unless there is something really solid to show I don't feel like delivering half baked solution.

it's true that AirVideo on my apple tv 4 is my preferred way to watch my recorded TV.  1) the deinterlacing in the quicksync workflow is better than that of other apps 2) I get to see a scrubbing thumbnail for skipping commercials

So, please keep it up. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users