• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 omf

omf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

We haven't seen much of 'admin' here the last couple of months, and I've seen too many once-promising apps simply vanish after the developer lost interest to not be worried. Can we get some statement from 'admin' on what's going on with Air Video and what near-term plans there are?

I took the time to submit a significant bug report back in April along with a demonstrative video clip using the Freshdesk support site. There's been no response or even acknowledgement of the issue.  (Video files with mono audio tracks will freeze after a couple of seconds.)

Still love Air Video, but I want to hear that the developer is still active on it.

• chrystalpq69 likes this

#2 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

Yes it is a bit strange.

Been using AV for many many years - hope it is still active platform? I've had a bunch of people buy the AV app for the new AppleTV too since released, let along the iOS app.

#3 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:01 AM

We haven't seen much of 'admin' here the last couple of months, and I've seen too many once-promising apps simply vanish after the developer lost interest to not be worried. Can we get some statement from 'admin' on what's going on with Air Video and what near-term plans there are?

I took the time to submit a significant bug report back in April along with a demonstrative video clip using the Freshdesk support site. There's been no response or even acknowledgement of the issue.  (Video files with mono audio tracks will freeze after a couple of seconds.)

Still love Air Video, but I want to hear that the developer is still active on it.

exactly what I'm concerned with as well.  I made another post asking why a release hasn't happened but instead a whole lot of work on beta after beta...and now nothing.

#4 vstshd

vstshd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:08 AM

Yep.  Same feeling here.  All apps die eventually....  You need income to keep a product alive, maybe he's investigating the new subscription model (which is actually disappointing - i'd rather he continue the "early access" features and/or new features in general.  

Silent for too long though.  Bummer.

#5 tdoane78

tdoane78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:12 PM

There's still active work being done, exchanged some emails with the admin a few weeks ago. I'm not worried and i have a 50 TB media server in which this app serves a good portion of the infrastructure.

-Tim

#6 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:24 AM

There's still active work being done, exchanged some emails with the admin a few weeks ago. I'm not worried and i have a 50 TB media server in which this app serves a good portion of the infrastructure.

-Tim

Not worried? Blind?

Sorry it feels more likely AV is done. This coming from someone that started using AV with the original AppleYV - looooong time ago. Before Apple even streamed bought content.

AV, as I posted here for years was/is so under priced. But based on my own past with Apps - AV is over.

The only other server software as fas as I know is Plex. Doesn't work or configure with my - the latest Apple Time Capsule. Plex is a real POS software. And their customer support to this day not once has ever responded to my support emails. Sent three - never one reply from Plex

Not sure what I'm going to do now?

RIP AVHD

#7 tdoane78

tdoane78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:06 AM

Not worried? Blind?

Sorry it feels more likely AV is done. This coming from someone that started using AV with the original AppleYV - looooong time ago. Before Apple even streamed bought content.

AV, as I posted here for years was/is so under priced. But based on my own past with Apps - AV is over.

The only other server software as fas as I know is Plex. Doesn't work or configure with my - the latest Apple Time Capsule. Plex is a real POS software. And their customer support to this day not once has ever responded to my support emails. Sent three - never one reply from Plex

Not sure what I'm going to do now?

RIP AVHD

Server was last updated May 2nd, based off your definition of death, most software releases are DOA.....hardly blind, just more informed. Best of luck to whichever video solution you go to, but I will agree Plex sucks. Let me know if you find a good audio streamer in your journey, as I'll still be here, happy as pig in the mud (PG'd the term)!

-Tim

#8 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:57 PM

Server was last updated May 2nd, based off your definition of death, most software releases are DOA.....hardly blind, just more informed. Best of luck to whichever video solution you go to, but I will agree Plex sucks. Let me know if you find a good audio streamer in your journey, as I'll still be here, happy as pig in the mud (PG'd the term)!

-Tim

no, it was not updated.  a beta was posted for testing here in the forum.

admin's last post in this forum was over a month ago.

there's a reason why the beta was never pushed to release.  it's dead.

#9 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

no, it was not updated.  a beta was posted for testing here in the forum.

admin's last post in this forum was over a month ago.

there's a reason why the beta was never pushed to release.  it's dead.

If it is still active, it's strange a company doesn't care to communicate or reassure their customers here.

#10 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

Sorry, there's something wrong with forum notifications, Air Video HD is most certainly not dead. 

Though I did get bit sidetracked by Airflow recently

http://airflowapp.com/

#11 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:52 PM

Well thank goodness Admin. Me and my kids rely so much on AV for so many years. AV is part of the family. They love it on their AppleTV 4 too.

What is Air Flow? 

#12 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:50 PM

Well thank goodness Admin. Me and my kids rely so much on AV for so many years. AV is part of the family. They love it on their AppleTV 4 too.

What is Air Flow? 

Airflow broadcasts airplay and chromecast.  You control it on your PC or Mac and no software need be installed on your chromecast or appletv

#13 tdoane78

tdoane78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:47 PM

What is Air Flow? 

Does that mean I'm no longer blind?!?! I can see!!!! ;-)

-Tim

#14 vstshd

vstshd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

I got AirFlow but I don't understand the justification/point of it over AirVideo.  On my Mac I can already AirPlay my screen to the TV w/ the menu bar icon - I'll full screen any video, be it YouTube or a local file and everything works fine already.  The beauty of AirPlay is streaming/transcoding your TB sized library w/o dealing with an entire laptop, and more importantly, on the iPad.  And also being able to AirPlay anyway.  Am I missing something here?

You started that Experimental Features thing a while ago.  Probably to inject cash, and I fully support it - I want to keep funding you for great software.  But you haven't touched that in ages, let alone any kind of update.

#15 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

I got AirFlow but I don't understand the justification/point of it over AirVideo.  On my Mac I can already AirPlay my screen to the TV w/ the menu bar icon - I'll full screen any video, be it YouTube or a local file and everything works fine already.  The beauty of AirPlay is streaming/transcoding your TB sized library w/o dealing with an entire laptop, and more importantly, on the iPad.  And also being able to AirPlay anyway.  Am I missing something here?

You started that Experimental Features thing a while ago.  Probably to inject cash, and I fully support it - I want to keep funding you for great software.  But you haven't touched that in ages, let alone any kind of update.

Neither do I. Every Mac of the last couple of years an Airplay to an AppleTV via Quicktime, iTunes etc…

It seems it really is for Chromecast

#16 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

Does that mean I'm no longer blind?!?! I can see!!!! ;-)

-Tim

I doubt it

#17 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

isn't the airplay built into mac only for supported media types?  I think the advantage of airflow is that it'll broadcast anything, transcoding on the fly if it has to.

#18 omf

omf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

Sorry, there's something wrong with forum notifications, Air Video HD is most certainly not dead. 

Thanks for the update!  Looking forward to some of those Air Video bug fixes... 

#19 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

AirPlay mirroring is quite bad for movies, it basically has to do screen grab and transcode that. That's very expensive, has to do lot of unnecessary work and the quality is not great because there is always transcoding, unnecessary high frame rate and latency constraints.

#20 Pinback

Pinback

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

That's fantastic!  I'll buy that in a second when you release it.  Now I can just stream directly from my Win7 laptop to my Apple TV without going through my iPad.  That will make things so much simpler.  Thanks!

• tdoane78 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users