Photo

Tips for maximizing server power efficiency.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gregregreg

gregregreg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

Hello,

I'm currently running my Air Video server on an older quad-core core i5 computer, with a radeon graphics card and 2 4TB internal hard drives all fed off of a 500 watt power supply. Performance is fine but I do wonder about the power efficiency of the setup and how much it is costing me to be just sitting there, plugged in, waiting for me to connect 24X7.

I'd like to get feedback about strategies and builds that you use/recommend to create a sufficiently powerful but efficient setup.

For example:

1.) What format should one transcode their video files in to avoid live transcoding (which requires much beefier hardware)?

2.) Assuming all of one's videos are in the above format, what kind of hardware would be necessary to serve say, 4 1080p concurrent video streams? Could an core i5 intel NUC handle it? 

3.) Do you use any power management strategies or do you not worry about it? If you do, what are they?

• RXDI, qzzyyynpmlh and chrystalpq69 like this

#2 DoctorChas

DoctorChas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

I simply don't worry about it. My Mac mini is on 24/7 with 32TB of attached storage. What with the router, fibre modem and three WiFi base stations, the whole shebang pulls less than 300W. That's less than my fridge pulls :D 

=:~) 

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

Progressive (not interlaced) H.264 video codec is your best bet, as it won't need to be transcoded during playback.

• RXDI likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users