• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midnyt

midnyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:44 PM

Hi, below is what I’m trying to achieve. Before I install this software on my computer and purchase the iOS app I want to know if the following can be done.

1. I have some DRM-free movies, TV shows and music in my iTunes library nicely cataloged and always on my iMac with all the latest software updates
  2. I have an iPad and iPhone running the latest iOS 9
  3. I'm going overseas next month, will take my unlocked iPhone with local SIM card with LTE data and Google Chromecast 2 with me
  4. I would like to connect to my computer at home from my iPhone over LTE and stream videos from my iTunes library to the Chromecast

I’ve tried other apps that don’t properly display my iTunes library, they are missing tags, missing episodes, incorrectly identifying seasons or episodes. Seems they are using filename conventions instead of reading embedded tags. I use Subler on my Mac to embed proper tags in my video files. I don’t want to re-organize my files just to make it work for this.

1. Do I need to VPN into my computer or will it work over the Internet?
  2. If over the Internet is it encrypted?
  3. Can I create multiple user accounts so my kids can have their own profile/queue?
  4. Will it resume a file where I left it at?

-thanks!

• qzzyyynpmlh and Agrikpen like this

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:25 PM

Hi,

0) Air Video HD does not currently support browsing iTunes library. It just lists content of shared folders.

1) You don't need VPN, but manual port forwarding might be necessary. However overseas connection will be problematic - traffic between continents tends to be heavily shaped

2) Yes, traffic is encrypted

3) Multiple user accounts are possible

4) Air Video HD will resume last position

#3 midnyt

midnyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

Thank you, if I point to my iTunes Library folder, will it read the embedded metadata tags saying the show name, episode, description etc? That's the only thing I'm not sure about.

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

Hi,

it will not currently read the tags. It will just display file names.

#5 reimomo

reimomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Hi everyone

However overseas connection will be problematic - traffic between continents tends to be heavily shaped

Can you elaborate a little on this?

The quote may be the key to my problem...

I've got a WD My Cloud and I've had huge problems trying to stream video from the device, which is located in the UK, to an Apple TV in France (via iPhone 6).

I've only recently stumbled up the excellent Air Video HD - in the past I've always used the WD video streaming software and whilst the net connection in France isn't great, it isn't that bad - about 10mg, I believe. It always gives the impression of being 'held back'.

Obviously next time I go I intend to use AV HD, as at the very least I can play with the quality to improve streaming, but my question is are the issues I've facing down to the broadband in France, or down to something else I can't control, such as 'traffic between continents'?

Thanks in advance for any info.

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:06 PM

Well, basically there is lot of traffic going under the ocean, and unless you are a large provider, you only get a very tiny part of the cable :) The good thing about Air Video HD is that you can measure the actual throughput between server and client and will know right away if the network connection is too slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users