• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amcanbc

amcanbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:38 AM

I'm running Air Video Server 2.2.2 on El Capitan 10.11.2 and Air Video TV on my Apple TV 4. I started using Apple TV 4 at the end of October, as soon as it came out. For a month I had no issues at all, everything was great. About 10 days ago every airplayed video starts without sound - I have to use various tricks to have it work. Sometimes restarting the Air Video server is enough, but lately it is not working either. I must use at least few steps to make sound comes back - (1) I have to restart Air Video server, then (2) start air playing the video and (3) fast forward it few minutes, then (4) fast rewind back to start and only then audio starts, although always few seconds after video starts.

At the same time playing Netflix, playing music or video from computer iTunes works without any issues on Apple TV 4, thus it is definitely the Air Video Server of Air Video TV app problem. A help will be appreciated.

#2 amcanbc

amcanbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:28 AM

Tried to figure out what and why is going on, but to no avail. The only facts I found after few days of extensive testing is that the reported sound problem affects exclusively Air Video HD on Apple TV and only for some strange reason the optical output from TV to my surround sound system. When I turn TV built-in speakers the sound is there, but it doesn't come through optical cable. Again - it is only and exclusively with Air Video HD.

The optical output from TV is not affected when playing on Apple TV movies from Netflix, other streaming channels, Apple Music, or playing from iTunes library on my Mac.

So, only Air Video HD on my Apple TV is messing up the optical sound output from my TV. No other app or streaming service is doing it. It means there is no problem with Apple TV, my LG TV and my LG surround sound - the problem is only with Air Video HD on Apple TV.

Any clues? 

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

First time I hear about something like this. Do the files have surround sound?

#4 amcanbc

amcanbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:10 PM

Some have, some not - it doesn't matter what sound they have, always the same problem. But after changing cables and ports I figured out another workaround - before starting Air Video on Apple TV I first play something from Netflix or iTunes for 30 or so seconds and after that I start Air Video TV and play whatever I need. Sound comes out, but still with about 10-15 seconds delay, so I'm losing that beginning of audio of the show or movie. Maybe I'm making wrong observation but it feels like the strength of audio coming out of Apple TV when playing through Air Video is somehow too weak to wake up the system. I played with different HDMI cables connecting Apple TV with TV and played with different optical input ports on the surround system to come with the best setup, but still I need to start with Netflix, iTunes or other streaming app before using Air Video on Apple TV.

#5 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:14 AM

This is extremely weird, especially because Air Video HD is using system AVPlayer for actual playback. I have no explanation for this.

#6 amcanbc

amcanbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:58 PM

I just replaced my Apple TV 4 with new unit and problem didn't go away, but I found that Vivo app on my Apple TV 4 is now causing exactly same problem with audio output as Air Video. Launching Vivo shuts down the audio output to my system entirely. Same workaround (starting streaming Netflix first) is working in this case too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users