• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bwb

bwb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:43 AM

It looks like the current version of Air Video HD doesn't work with the lightning digital av adapter. At least, the newest rev of the adapter... I don't have experience with the older hdmi adapter. The newest is MD826AM/A, which replaced MD826ZM/A a few months back apparently.

Symptom is it will display "Playing on HDMI" in the bottom but the playback never really starts, instead it starts alternating between the frame of video and black on the tv. Almost like it is getting confused on where it is suppose to be playing back Air Video HD interface locks up, can't pause etc. And mirroring sometimes doesn't come back after quiting + force quiting air video hd, have to remove and reinsert adapter.. I tried this on two TVs, two different manufacturers. Netflixs and display mirror work fine, so the adapter itself seems to work (I'm starting to wonder if it is really just a conflict between airplay mirror and the straight airplay video... I wish they had an option to shutoff airplay mirroring on the lighting adapter).

This is on an iPhone 6S Plus and an iPad Air... same symptoms of both, and both running iOS 9.2.

• qzzyyynpmlh likes this

#2 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:32 AM

It looks like the current version of Air Video HD doesn't work with the lightning digital av adapter. At least, the newest rev of the adapter... I don't have experience with the older hdmi adapter. The newest is MD826AM/A, which replaced MD826ZM/A a few months back apparently.

Symptom is it will display "Playing on HDMI" in the bottom but the playback never really starts, instead it starts alternating between the frame of video and black on the tv. Almost like it is getting confused on where it is suppose to be playing back Air Video HD interface locks up, can't pause etc. And mirroring sometimes doesn't come back after quiting + force quiting air video hd, have to remove and reinsert adapter.. I tried this on two TVs, two different manufacturers. Netflixs and display mirror work fine, so the adapter itself seems to work (I'm starting to wonder if it is really just a conflict between airplay mirror and the straight airplay video... I wish they had an option to shutoff airplay mirroring on the lighting adapter).

This is on an iPhone 6S Plus and an iPad Air... same symptoms of both, and both running iOS 9.2.

I just discovered the same problem earlier this week.  I was at a hotel, and I attempted to connect my iPad to the HDMI connection on the TV, and experienced the same behavior that bwb described above (and bwb didn't mention this, but in addition to the picture issues, I don't get any audio either).  It looks like the HDMI handshaking may not be working properly, or something along those lines - basically, it appears that things are not syncing up properly.  I returned from my trip last night, and tried it on my TV here at home, and have the same problem.

A little more info.  I have several other IOS apps that can play video - GoodReader, oPlayerHD Lite, PlayerXtreme Media Player, and VLC.  After I found the problem with Air Video, I tried these other apps, and all four were able to play video through the HDMI adapter with no issues.  So this problem seems to be specific to Air Video.  Also, I stayed at the same hotel about a month ago, and HDMI output with Air Video was working fine at that time (using the same iPad, same lightning to HDMI adapter, same HDMI cable, etc.).  This leads me to suspect that this feature broke somehow as a result of the upgrade to iOS 9.2, because I think the iOS upgrade is the only change in the last month.

Doug

• rtraill likes this

#3 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:31 AM

I'm also having the same problem with the latest lightning HDMI adapter and Airvideo HD Pro on an iPad 2 and iPhone 6s. Very upsetting as I have just come away for 2 weeks holidays with lots of downloaded videos which I now can't play. Infuse and VM Player work properly.

A response from the developer would be good.

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:12 AM

Most the other players (apart from Netflix) use Mirroring when playing video, which is different than what Air Video uses. Still, I've tested the previous lightning HDMI adapter and it did work as expected, so either the new adapter broke something or it was due to iOS 9 upgrade. I'll see if I can reproduce this.

#5 ironduke71

ironduke71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

I've just bought the lightning hdmi adapter to use with my ipad air 2 ios 9.2 and I can't play any downloaded air video hd files through it. Netflix and YouTube work fine, but air video hd sometimes freezes up, and the tv screen may flicker between black and some other image as described above. I wanted to move the downloaded movies from air video hd to my laptop to see if i could hook that up to the tv, but it seems there's no way to get access to downloaded movies, I tried an IOS browser app in Windows with no luck.

#6 yanno

yanno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:26 AM

I have exactly the issue noted by bwb. Although I believe I'm using the older Apple lightning to HDMI adapter. Tried both my iPhone 5s and iPad Air with same results. Also using using the Apple hdmi cable...
iOS 9.2 on both devices. Playback was from a downloaded file (no access to the web). Air video hd v2.1.3.
I'm more than happy to beta test via TestFlight

#7 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

Most the other players (apart from Netflix) use Mirroring when playing video, which is different than what Air Video uses. Still, I've tested the previous lightning HDMI adapter and it did work as expected, so either the new adapter broke something or it was due to iOS 9 upgrade. I'll see if I can reproduce this.

And just to reiterate - everything was working fine for me in November, when I was still using iOS 9.1 (same HDMI adapter, etc.).  Things went bad after the iOS 9.2 update; nothing else in my setup changed.

Doug

#8 alferz

alferz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:49 AM

Same problem here, ipad 4 with ios 9.2, hdmi out not working. Hope this can get fixed soon, i use this all the time while traveling!

#9 RXDI

RXDI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Seems like an issue with iOS. Do other programs work through the cable?

#10 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

I wasn't able to reproduce this with VGA cable (iOS 9.2). I don't have HDMI cable around right now, but I will test this tomorrow (although as far as app is concerned there shouldn't be difference between HDMI and VGA cable). Does this happen consistently with all videos?

#11 rtraill

rtraill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:54 AM

All videos downloaded to Airvdeo HD on iPhone 6, 6s, iPad Air 2 and original iPad. All other apps
works fine with the same setup. All on 9.2

#12 alferz

alferz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:05 AM

Yes this has happened on all videos for me as well, whether streamed or downloaded. m2v, mkv, wtv, mp4 and avi.

#13 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

I wasn't able to reproduce this with VGA cable (iOS 9.2). I don't have HDMI cable around right now, but I will test this tomorrow (although as far as app is concerned there shouldn't be difference between HDMI and VGA cable). Does this happen consistently with all videos?

Yes, it's very consistent - the problem occurs with anything I try to play with Air Video.  And anything I try to play with the other apps I mentioned works fine.

Doug

#14 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Okay, I missed this issue because it only happens for downloaded files (or MP4 direct streaming). I've already submitted update that fixes this to Apple for review.

#15 alferz

alferz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:42 AM

Awesome, thanks for such a quick response admin!

#16 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

Playback through the adapter is working fine now...thanks for the prompt fix!

Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users