• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ikir

ikir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

Hi all! I'm exited to try the new AirVideo HD on my AppleTV, i was very happy to buy it again, no problem with it but it seems it doesn't convert/play 5.1 audio. Before that i was using Beamer and it was converting the audio correctly.

#2 ikir

ikir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:06 PM

AH ok... ehm just scrolled down for option and activate 5.1.... but why it wasn't active by default? Thanks!

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

it should be in current version. Was the surround sound disabled, or does your video have two audio tracks (one stereo, one 5.1)?

#4 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

it should be in current version. Was the surround sound disabled, or does your video have two audio tracks (one stereo, one 5.1)?

Think the surround sound was disabled by default, I had it also.

#5 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

with surround sound disabled for me the apple TV just outputs PCM for however many channels the input has.  I think I prefer that rather than the apple TV re-encoding to dolby digital.

#6 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:19 PM

with surround sound disabled for me the apple TV just outputs PCM for however many channels the input has.  I think I prefer that rather than the apple TV re-encoding to dolby digital.

Dont think it re-encodes to dd5.1. It re-encodes to stereo if disabled and passes thru dd5.1 if surround is enabled.

#7 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

Dont think it re-encodes to dd5.1. It re-encodes to stereo if disabled and passes thru dd5.1 if surround is enabled.

it may pass through if the dolby digital signal is compatible but it also re-encodes everything not dolby 5.1 to 5.1, even stereo input.  for example, apps such as watchespn would output stereo if set to auto but set to dolby digital it outputs a 5.1 signal.  In doing so only the front left/right have audio.  So, it does keep the stereo config but still re-encodes to dolby ditital 5.1  When streaming high quality audio from a movie I'd rather there be one less re-encoding step.

It's interesting to see how Air Video HD handles audio.  Supposedly the apple TV 4 only suports dolby digital so I figured that if a video had DTS audio I'd see Air Video HD doing transcoding.  But, it doesn't that I can tell.  That means the Apple TV can decode DTS, it just can't output DTS.  Again, and if this is the case, I'd rather the Apple TV just decode and pass along the PCM to my receiver rather than re-encode to dolby digital.  So, I keep set at auto.

#8 Guest_borheart_*

Guest_borheart_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:31 AM

Why does Air Video always default to PCM.  How do I get it to default to the ac3 5.1 track without having to select it manually every stinking' time?  This is the only complain I have with Air Video.  Much prefer it to all others except for this.  Plex and Infuse pick the right track every time.  What am I missing?

Thanks

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

Next update should prefer track with highest channel count for new files.

#10 GeorgeKr

GeorgeKr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

Me and the computer are sitting right in front of the tv, and the computer modem and the apple TV are sitting on the same table as the tv. What do you mean by wifi channel? Sorry, Im a dunce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users