• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 prestonpatt

prestonpatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

So far the new Apple TV app has been great! Easy to get setup, easy to use, great app overall.

My one issue is that I have several TV shows and movies in folders that I have setup with aliases to other locations on a hard drive. It's nice to have everything in a specific order and I don't have enough space on my main drive to have all my content on so I can use aliases. Right now, aliases don't show up at all in the Apple TV app. I can navigate to the original location and find the file, but if I have a folder setup with aliases, those don't show at all in the list. Any chance this will be coming soon?

• mattmacg4 and Larestads like this

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

Aliases currently won't work, but symlinks should. Can you make symlink instead of alias?

#3 DoctorChas

DoctorChas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:29 PM

Ooh yes please...or even symbolic links, which might be better.

This could be very useful for younger family members: for instance, imagine a collection of films which are all flavours of certificate—U, through PG/PG-13 to 18. Rather than share the entire collection, you could point their user account to a folder containing symbolic links to films appropriate for their age. 

#4 DoctorChas

DoctorChas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

Symlinks don't appear to work  :(

#5 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Symlinks really should work. I use them all the time when testing. Did you symlink folders or files?

#6 DoctorChas

DoctorChas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

Upon further investigation, they do indeed work—it was down to my dodgy typing :(

A little ferreting around and I came across a useful bunch of automator Actions, one of which adds a rather natty Create Symbolic Link service to Finder's contextual Services menu.

http://junecloud.com...or-actions.html

Saves faffing around with Terminal :D 

#7 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

Are symlinked folders meant to work? I can get symlinked files to work but not folders. They don't show up in the app.

I'm running the linux server 2.2.3.

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Symlinked folders should work as well, although I'm not sure I've tried it on linux.

#9 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

Thank you for your response.

I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get them to show up in the app. Any chance you could take a look and see if it's not just me?

Thanks

#10 mattmacg4

mattmacg4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:04 AM

Is alias support coming to the Apple TV app?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users