is this forum dead?

Nope!

#23 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

I think ideal solution would be to have adjustable zoom like on the iOS app. I don't think the all or nothing approach would work very well for ultra-wide movies, would people really want to zoom that much? Also most TVs usually have at couple of different zooming/presentation modes.

#24 DoctorChas

DoctorChas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:09 PM

Its a matter of personal choice for tradeoff.....

what you loose with zooming:

> a bit of left and right side of the filmed picture as you said.

A lot of the frames shot though, there isnt many very relevant happening in this left and right side imo....even, i think the filmers reckon a bit with this.

What you win:

> a bigger fysical size of the picture where 98% of the action is happening anyway

The larger the TV size you have, the more you want a not-zoomed picture i agree. I have a 37" TV screen and i prefer to have a bigger fysical size on my screen instead having the sides of the picture and its all getting pretty small in absolute way....

Therefore i dont understand peeps are replying this question in a emotional way a lot of times (not meant to you btw you made some clear statements); its all just a matter of preference so a media player should give this option to playback.....i think netflix should give it also.

And if this widescreen is al "so" better why dont they start shooting series in widescreen also....i think having black bars is often a goal in its own to create the "cinematic" effect which alot of people find important.....

my 2 cents :)

still want an administrator update on this feature request if and when its planned pls :)

Interesting comments—thank you. I'm all for personal preference, and if you want to re-matte something shot in 'Scope to fill a 16:9 screen, go for it. As a photographer and film maker myself, I always prefer to see a film in the way the director and cinematographer intended. Unfortunately, there is a tendency for films to be released on physical media re-matted to fit a 16:9 screen. The BluRay version of Kubrick's Barry Lyndon (at least the version I have) changes the original 1.66:1 aspect ratio to 1.78:1—not much of a change, admittedly, but enough to irk me somewhat.

The one that really infuriated me was when Criterion, usually known for releasing critical editions of films, chose to re-release Godfrey Reggio's masterpiece Koyaanisqatsi in 16:9, rather than the original open matte 4:3 it was shot in. For an art film, this is unforgivable.

Whatever your personal choice in these matters, enjoy the skill and artistry on both sides of the camera that goes into making such wonderful entertainment  :)

=:~) 

#25 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:35 AM

I think ideal solution would be to have adjustable zoom like on the iOS app. I don't think the all or nothing approach would work very well for ultra-wide movies, would people really want to zoom that much? Also most TVs usually have at couple of different zooming/presentation modes.

zooming on the tv doesnt work this way, subtitles are rendered partly on the bottom black bar...how should the tv zoom this?

just make an option to zoom fullscreen...better to have a zoom function in between also (like the infuse app) and your king of the media apps......

#26 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:47 AM

Interesting comments—thank you. I'm all for personal preference, and if you want to re-matte something shot in 'Scope to fill a 16:9 screen, go for it. As a photographer and film maker myself, I always prefer to see a film in the way the director and cinematographer intended. Unfortunately, there is a tendency for films to be released on physical media re-matted to fit a 16:9 screen. The BluRay version of Kubrick's Barry Lyndon (at least the version I have) changes the original 1.66:1 aspect ratio to 1.78:1—not much of a change, admittedly, but enough to irk me somewhat.

The one that really infuriated me was when Criterion, usually known for releasing critical editions of films, chose to re-release Godfrey Reggio's masterpiece Koyaanisqatsi in 16:9, rather than the original open matte 4:3 it was shot in. For an art film, this is unforgivable.

Whatever your personal choice in these matters, enjoy the skill and artistry on both sides of the camera that goes into making such wonderful entertainment  :)

as i understand you correctly, you wanted black bars left and right on the examples you give? that are quite other examples than most widescreen films zooming to 16:9

#27 DoctorChas

DoctorChas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

as i understand you correctly, you wanted black bars left and right on the examples you give? that are quite other examples than most widescreen films zooming to 16:9

Absolutely: I much prefer to see a film in its original aspect ratio, although I understand why people would like the facility to fill the screen.

#28 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Absolutely: I much prefer to see a film in its original aspect ratio, although I understand why people would like the facility to fill the screen.

i agree, aspect ratio is #1 important, after that fullscreen.....so i my examples i let ofc the aspect ratio ok by zooming to fullscreen

4:3 content i also prefer with black bars left and right.....the worst thing you can do is change the aspect ratio.....

• DoctorChas likes this

#29 juantopete

juantopete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:57 AM

Allot of old shows/ movies/ anime etc are in 4:3 aspect ratio can we please add the ability to stretch the video to 16:9. This feature is available on the mobile app, this feature would greatly improve the quality of this app.
  • djsaso likes this

#30 djsaso

djsaso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:39 AM

hi, pleas make update for apple tv 4, make the same image settings such as an iPhone or iPad application air video hd, i have old films 4:3 and have now picture with left and right black stripes, when set to 16:9 picture expands and bars are gone, it is a problem to do this update and add the item setup?? thanks in advance for an early update

that's what I want to apple tv 4 setting:

http://imgur.com/a/tfzcy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users