• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hello, just bought the air video HD app on Apple tv 4. I thought I could play my HD video's fullscreen in 16:9 aspect ratio by cropping so I get a full screen.

I cant find any setting while the app store mentions aspect ratio 2.0

#2 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

Can anyone reply to this, Is everybody watching their movies with black bars? I bought the app for 5€ cause the release notes said you could change aspect ratio....

#3 DoctorChas

DoctorChas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

The iOS version of AVHD supports changing aspect ratios, the tvOS version currently doesn't.

Most HD TVs are 16:9 aspect ratio and you will inevitably get black bars on anything shot in any other aspect ratio, from Academy to 'Scope. The rare times I've used the aspect ratio feature of AVHD is to correct videos where the ratio is incorrectly encoded. Personally, I prefer to see a film in the aspect ratio the cinematographer intended.

In the days of 4:3 screens, I would get seriously narked at the frequently poor use of pan and scan.

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2582 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

I don't think we have aspect ratio settings feature mentioned in the Apple TV app description.

#5 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

Hi,

I don't think we have aspect ratio settings feature mentioned in the Apple TV app description.

It is in the ios app notes, it says 'aspect ratio 2.0 (also works when playing Apple tv)'.

#6 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:17 PM

The iOS version of AVHD supports changing aspect ratios, the tvOS version currently doesn't.

Most HD TVs are 16:9 aspect ratio and you will inevitably get black bars on anything shot in any other aspect ratio, from Academy to 'Scope. The rare times I've used the aspect ratio feature of AVHD is to correct videos where the ratio is incorrectly encoded. Personally, I prefer to see a film in the aspect ratio the cinematographer intended.

In the days of 4:3 screens, I would get seriously narked at the frequently poor use of pan and scan.

You are right the wordt aspect ratio is a bit of a miss use here. I want to play a movie on my pc fullscreen with respect to the original aspect ratio. So that means stretching or cropping it to fullscreen.
That is how I look movies on my popbox which does that perfectly.

Today I saw a new app in the Apple tv Appstore which also can do that (called onevideo) but that app has other issues like dd5.1 doesnt work and no smooth replay.

I would highly like this as a new feature in the app.

#7 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

You are right the wordt aspect ratio is a bit of a miss use here. I want to play a movie on my pc fullscreen with respect to the original aspect ratio. So that means stretching or cropping it to fullscreen.
That is how I look movies on my popbox which does that perfectly.
Today I saw a new app in the Apple tv Appstore which also can do that (called onevideo) but that app has other issues like dd5.1 doesnt work and no smooth replay.

Can I get a statement of the administrator about this feature request. Note: I want the original aspect ratio still but stretch the image to 16:9 fullscreen, also referred by cropping sometimes.

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2582 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

Just to be clear, what you actually want is to zoom the video, not change aspect ratio, right?

#9 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

Just to be clear, what you actually want is to zoom the video, not change aspect ratio, right?

Idd, zoom it until it is fullscreen on my 16:9 HD tv. Its also called stretching or cropping in several players. So we can view the movie without black bars.

#10 Guest_ponte_*

Guest_ponte_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

yea, i'd like to see this feature as well. most of the movies i download has black bars in the top and the bottom, and when i used to stream from my ipad i always changed aspect ratio to 16:9 so i'd get full screen so to speak. i guess it actually "zooms" in the picture or what you'd like to call it, however, i always used this feature on the ipad, so i'd like to have it on the apple tv as well. 

implent this and airvideo will be the shit again. keep up the good work.

thx, ponte.

#11 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:16 AM

Can an Administrator pls post if this is in the todo list or roadmap planning?.

#12 Guest_Denkan_*

Guest_Denkan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:14 AM

#13 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2582 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:08 AM

I'm well aware that this is requested, hopefully this should make it to the next Apple TV update.

#14 Guest_Chase225_*

Guest_Chase225_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:55 AM

I would just also like to request this feature as well.  I really don't like the black bars and would prefer to zoom (VLC calls it cropping) to 16:9.  Thanks for your work!  Love the product have had it for years.

#15 Guest_Danny G_*

Guest_Danny G_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

Please add the aspect ratio setting to the Apple TV app please!! Very useful feature on iOS!

#16 Guest_abc123_*

Guest_abc123_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:46 PM

Yes please add this feature to the apple tv app.....

#17 Guest_dg_*

Guest_dg_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:10 AM

Need this feature very much for my new apple tv, thanks for your work

#18 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

Can I get an administrator update for this zoom function to 16:9 (while maintaining aspect ratio)? Would also be nice to zoom it in a bit (beside complete zoom) so there still black bars on top but smaller...seen that also on Apple tv player (infuse).

Having it would make AVHD the best player on the market currently....

#19 DoctorChas

DoctorChas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

I can sort of understand why people would want this feature but I personally would never use it. Film makers choose aspect ratios for a reason and compose shots accordingly. Zooming a film like The Hateful Eight from 2.79:1 to 1.78:1 would ruin Bob Richardson's careful framing. Tarantino deliberately chose to shoot it in Ultra PanaVision, a format that hasn't been used for nearly 50 years and required PanaVision to refurbish the few cameras capable of shooting in that format. A few select theatres even projected it on film rather than digital, and a number of old projectionists had to come out of retirement as they were the only ones who knew how to handle the projection gear. That was the way Tarantino wanted his film to be seen and appreciated. He goes to all that bother and people want to ruin the experience when they get it on their TV by zooming in.

Likewise, Citizen Kane was shot Academy ratio: reframing it to 1.78:1 would crop top and bottom and destroy Gregg Toland's careful composition. Nobody complains when they see a film in the cinema in 'Scope but as soon as they get it on their TVs, it has to fill the screen completely—madness!

I think that zooming does the film maker a great disservice. Cinematography is an art: you wouldn't do this to a painting so why do it to a film? 

=:~) 

#20 HE1

HE1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:13 AM

I can sort of understand why people would want this feature but I personally would never use it. Film makers choose aspect ratios for a reason and compose shots accordingly. Zooming a film like The Hateful Eight from 2.79:1 to 1.78:1 would ruin Bob Richardson's careful framing. Tarantino deliberately chose to shoot it in Ultra PanaVision, a format that hasn't been used for nearly 50 years and required PanaVision to refurbish the few cameras capable of shooting in that format. A few select theatres even projected it on film rather than digital, and a number of old projectionists had to come out of retirement as they were the only ones who knew how to handle the projection gear. That was the way Tarantino wanted his film to be seen and appreciated. He goes to all that bother and people want to ruin the experience when they get it on their TV by zooming in.

Likewise, Citizen Kane was shot Academy ratio: reframing it to 1.78:1 would crop top and bottom and destroy Gregg Toland's careful composition. Nobody complains when they see a film in the cinema in 'Scope but as soon as they get it on their TVs, it has to fill the screen completely—madness!

I think that zooming does the film maker a great disservice. Cinematography is an art: you wouldn't do this to a painting so why do it to a film? 

=:~) 

Its a matter of personal choice for tradeoff.....

what you loose with zooming:

> a bit of left and right side of the filmed picture as you said.

A lot of the frames shot though, there isnt many very relevant happening in this left and right side imo....even, i think the filmers reckon a bit with this.

What you win:

> a bigger fysical size of the picture where 98% of the action is happening anyway

The larger the TV size you have, the more you want a not-zoomed picture i agree. I have a 37" TV screen and i prefer to have a bigger fysical size on my screen instead having the sides of the picture and its all getting pretty small in absolute way....

Therefore i dont understand peeps are replying this question in a emotional way a lot of times (not meant to you btw you made some clear statements); its all just a matter of preference so a media player should give this option to playback.....i think netflix should give it also.

And if this widescreen is al "so" better why dont they start shooting series in widescreen also....i think having black bars is often a goal in its own to create the "cinematic" effect which alot of people find important.....

my 2 cents :)

still want an administrator update on this feature request if and when its planned pls :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users