Photo

Can you play videos while logged into different account?

appletv imac

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 patlaj

patlaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hi - I want to be able to play videos from my iMac onto my TV while someone else is using the iMac in a different account. I have an iPhone and iPod, but haven't bought an AppleTV yet. Would I be able to do this with Air Video HD and an AppleTV?

In summary, I want to:
  1. Set up Air Video HD on the primary account on my iMac (where all of my videos are).
  2. Switch to a different account on the iMac, which someone else will use to play games or whatever.
  3. Browse and view the videos from my primary iMac account on the AppleTV, either with the iPhone as an intermediary or (ideally) just with the AppleTV.
I don't want to convert my videos and store them in iTunes, so I don't think I can use the native AirPlay functionality. I had thought about directly connecting the Mac to the TV and just using VLC, but then I won't be able to watch videos when another account is logged in. 

I haven't bought anything yet because I want to know everything's going to work first. Could this work with a Roku? Other options?

Thanks for any help,

Patlaj

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hi,

in order for Air Video Server HD to run user must be logged in to the account. However it is possible to have multiple user logged to their account at the same time. So 3) should be possible, although not without intermediary iPhone or iPad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: appletv, imac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users