• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NMBob

NMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

Can the server (like a Mac mini) be set to create an ad hoc network and allow an iPad to connect to that network and watch videos? It doesn't seem to work, but it should...shouldn't it? Wouldn't everything just be on the "local network"? I've tried a bunch of different things.

Thanks!

Bob

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:01 PM

You might need to connect to IP address directly. It is possible that bonjour discovery will not work.

#3 NMBob

NMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

Tried using the self-assigned IP address, but no-go. It says "loading...", but then doesn't make it. That's too bad. It would be handy for those remote locations. Adding an Airport Express to the mix seems to work. It's nice that it works at all without the outside world. I don't think you can even start Plex without a connection. That'll come in handy after Armageddon. :)

Now if you could get it to act like Air Audio HF (HiFi) and display/play audio/music files... That would be wow! Then it would be buh-bye to iTunes.

Thanks!

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

Self assigned IP address will not work. You will need to assign IP addresses from local network range (i.e. 192.168.0.X) manually.

#5 NMBob

NMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

Good guess! :)  Setting the IP allows the server (my MacBook) to show up as being available on the local network on my iPad connected to the ad hoc network without having to manually enter anything or do anything special, and if I select the server the folders and then the files show up, but if I try to play a file it fills the screen with the thumbnail picture which then fades to fuzzy and eventually a 'cannot parse' error comes up. These are files that play fine under normal circumstances. If I turn the server on/off, or add/delete files I can see all of that happening. They just won't play. There is sometimes a quick 'preparing video' and some other message (it's too quick) that flash by right when I try to play the video, but no playing. So close.

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

What IP address did you assign to your Mac (and iPad)?

#7 NMBob

NMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

192.168.0.45 for the MacBook and 192.168.0.46 for the iPad. The mask is 255.255.0.0. Sticking in ~.45 for the router didn't help (didn't think it would). 

Everything seems to work fine, except actually playing.

The 'UPnP port mapping not possible' message is showing in the server preferences, but it doesn't seem like that should matter.

I've tried starting and stopping and setting up things in different orders.

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:52 PM

Do you get same result with mask 255.255.255.0 ? 

#9 NMBob

NMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

Yup. Same thing.

I altered the file name of one of the videos and that showed up in a few seconds on the iPad.

The iPad shows up as a session in the server status with the right address and all, though the address is fffff:192.168.0.46.

Tried turning off 'access the server through the Internet' which, of course, wasn't needed.

Disabled the encode/decode hardware acceleration.

Did have to stop and start the server with the on/off buttons to get it to initially pick up the MacBook's address and port.

#10 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:49 AM

Can you please send the logs from Air Video Server HD (Create Archive from Logs), taken right after attempting to playa file, to support(at)inmethod.com ? Thanks.

#11 NMBob

NMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:26 PM

You bet. I also set this up on a Mac mini and it did the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users