16 replies to this topic

#1 NSBrad

NSBrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:01 AM

Hi, 

Is there a list anywhere of what formats the AppleTV version natively supports over having to transcode and any details on transcoding? Like if it's a h.264 in mkv does it just repack as mp4 (assuming mkv isn't supported).  Also any listing on what subs are supported?  I've looked around and haven't seen this info for the AppleTV version.  

Thanks

#2 RXDI

RXDI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:47 AM

Good question. I'd like to know this also.

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Right now it's basically the same as for iOS device. That means most H.264 profiles should play natively. Container is not important (MKV, MP4, MPEG TS, etc - they all will work, Air Video HD will remux them on fly). Subtitles can be embedded (SRT, SSA, TX3G) or external - as long as they are textual they will be shown without transcoding. DVD subtitles (vobsub) currently require transcoding.

• RXDI likes this

#4 NSBrad

NSBrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:17 PM

What about xvid/divx in an avi? I have bunch of old stuff in it.

#5 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:22 PM

That will be transparently transcoded by server. But transcoding xvid/dvix on fly is usually pretty cheap.

#6 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:35 PM

I have some m2ts files containing AVCHD at 1080i recorded by a video camera that I'm having trouble with.

1) the server analyzer seems to have trouble with a folder with several of these files.  on my apple tv client many of the videos remain blank and never get a thumbnail.  when I try to play ones that do have a thumbnail they often don't play - the screen just stays black with busy symbol.

2) when they do play they are being transcoded.  I don't understand why as I turn subtitles (DVD type) off so no need to burn them in, the video is h264, and the audio is stereo ac3.

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:49 PM

Are they interlaced? I'm not sure why there are no thumbnails though, do you have those files stored on network drive? How big are they?

#8 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:47 AM

Are they interlaced? I'm not sure why there are no thumbnails though, do you have those files stored on network drive? How big are they?

yes, as stated above they are 1080i AVCHD from a video cam.  will interlaced video always be transcoded?  if so, what's the purpose of the deinterlace option in video playback in the apple tv interface?

they are on an internal drive and vary in size but the largest one is less than 700mB

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

Sometimes it is not possible to tell upfront if the video is interlaced, so the option forces deinterlacing. However thinking about it, it is possible that the video is interlaced in PAFF  format, which recent iOS devices can't handle so we have to force transcoding. I haven't tried PAFF stream on tvOS without transcoding, will do that later.

• cosmoxl likes this

#10 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

I've been messing with codecs on my machine, cleaning things up.  I rely on LAV but was forcing it with my media player.  Directshow merit probably favored ffdshow for some things.

If I'm using 32bit server would testing with graphstudionext 32bit accurately show me the graph that the server would use to decode?  Or does it use windows media foundation?

#11 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

We're using directshow (if VLC is not present), but not rely on on merit. Generally Air Video Server HD will prefer LAVfilters to ffdshow as it tends to perform better. 

• cosmoxl likes this

#12 Guest_GaryinABQ_*

Guest_GaryinABQ_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:12 AM

On my iPad there is a way to list the videos I want to play, for instance for name or date. Is there a way to do that on Apple TV?

#13 RXDI

RXDI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

When in a folder, slide your figer on the remote pad to the right to get a menu.

#14 Guest_GaryinABQ_*

Guest_GaryinABQ_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

Thanks RXDI that works.   In the App on the iPad and also iPhone, there is a setting for date added. So I guess I would like to see that added.  Thanks again for the answer.

#15 Guest_Prak1979_*

Guest_Prak1979_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

Can the Apple Tv version play iso and vob files?

#16 RXDI

RXDI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

Thanks RXDI that works.   In the App on the iPad and also iPhone, there is a setting for date added. So I guess I would like to see that added.  Thanks again for the answer.

You can sort by "Date" added on that same menu when sliding to the right.

#17 RXDI

RXDI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

Can the Apple Tv version play iso and vob files?

I know you can play vob files. I'm not sure about ISO, never tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users