• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drickchen

drickchen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

I love using Air Video HD and there is only one feature that I really want to see in the upcoming updates, that is using custom fonts for subtitles.

As a Chinese user, subtitles are very important because we rely on subtitles when we watch video clips and movies.

A lot of people in China are complaining about it because it should be a basic function in video playing and streaming apps.

nPlayer has the function of putting font files under its directory and you can choose your own subtitle font, and Infuse also added customizing subtitle font in its latest update.

I still couldn't believe that after all these years, this feature is still missing in Air Video HD.

Please consider adding this function in the upcoming update, than you so much! :)

(And please be sure that the custom font can be displayed on Apple TV)

• Agrikpen likes this

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

There hasn't been any requests for this so far. What exactly is wrong with the default font? What would you want to change it to?

#3 drickchen

drickchen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

Actually there are a few requests for more options for subtitles including changing fonts.

The default font is acceptable. However, because of the characteristics of Chinese characters, font settings become a serious issue when it comes to subtitles since the subtitle font's legibility can easily affect the viewing pleasure.

I have used the older version of air video and I believe I could change font settings back then. I have no idea why this important function is pulled off from Air Video HD.

I would like to change the font into 信黑體XinGothic since it is one of the most carefully-designed Chinese font with high legibility.

http://forums.inmeth...=font#entry4282

http://forums.inmeth...issing/?hl=font

http://forums.inmeth...etting/?hl=font

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

Those threads are mostly about subtitle size, for which we already have option. The issue with font is that there is no way to display custom fonts on Apple TV during AirPlay. It will only be possible with native app for new Apple TV (working on it).

#5 drickchen

drickchen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

So with the "burn-in" option enabled I still couldn't display custom fonts on Apple TV?

If there is no way to do this on Apple TV for now that's ok and I think displaying custom subtitles on iPhone and iPads will be fine.

For spending money purchasing the app I wish that the function will be added as soon as possible, especially if your company considers Asian markets very important.

Thanks for your reply! :)

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:57 PM

With burn-in it is possible of course, but that forces video transcoding, which is far from being ideal. We're trying to avoid video transcoding as much as possible and render the subtitles natively, which results in much better quality.

• KennethShutt likes this

#7 Reality.Bites

Reality.Bites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

My request is subtitle-related. I would REALLY appreciate the option to turn subtitles OFF by default. Most of my videos have subtitles included, but almost all of them are English-language titles and I have no need for the subtitles. It's a hassle to have to turn it off every time I watch a video.

#8 nxr

nxr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:17 PM

Is there a way to display subs over the video without transcoding? You can move them around in AVPlayer for example.

My request is subtitle-related. I would REALLY appreciate the option to turn subtitles OFF by default. Most of my videos have subtitles included, but almost all of them are English-language titles and I have no need for the subtitles. It's a hassle to have to turn it off every time I watch a video.

Yo can kinda bypass this with the Preferred Languages settings, if your videos have proper language tags (which I'm guessing they do).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: font, custom, subtitles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users