97 replies to this topic

#81 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:44 PM

Sunrise, thanks for the file. I was able to reproduce and fix this. This was not a performance problem (that would manifest differently - the video would play normally for small periods of time, and then stopp to rebuffer). It would also be noticeable in the log.

The problem here was caused by the fact that Microsoft VC1 decoder expects decoding instead of presentation timestamps in the input. We've been feeding it presentation timestamps (which is the normal thing to do), but as a result it gave output with wrong timestamps. That means frames out of order, which we have to ignore and which results in video that sort of stutters.

It seems that for last version I've only tested VC1 in Microsoft containers (and matroska), which only store DTS, so it worked fine. But for container such as MPEG TS which has properly timestamped stream it did not. It will in next update.

Great, thanks for fixing it, seems the time to dig into that bug was worth it. As soon as a build is available I will test and report back.

I have another question (not related to the above):

Yesterday I wanted to download one video that was created with Handbrake x264 with preset placebo (H.264 and AAC audio) in an MP4 container to my iPhone 5s without transcoding it. I have therefore activated passthrough "whenever possible" so that it doesn't get transcoded. Air Video HD however sees that the file has 16 reference frames and tells me that only 15 reference frames are supported. What exactly does supported mean in this case? Is that a hardcoded value or do you get these properties from the API of the iPhone 5s itself?

I am asking, since I wanted to test the capabilities of the iPhone 5s and also to retain quality and play these files as is, so I don't want to transcode it at all cost, I want native playback. Is there a way around that and can you allow 16 reference frames?

#82 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

I don't think iPhone 5s can decode streams with 16 reference frames. iPhone 5 certainly can't and also no Apple TV can. It's limitation of the hardware decoder. You need to re-encode the file with  15 or less.

#83 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

I don't think iPhone 5s can decode streams with 16 reference frames. iPhone 5 certainly can't and also no Apple TV can. It's limitation of the hardware decoder. You need to re-encode the file with  15 or less.

Yes, but I actually want to test if that is really the case. It sounds like you are not sure yourself. What happens when you allow for that? If it's not possible at all, we can forget about it, but I want to verify for the sake of completeness.

Using Air Video HD on the 5s made it possible to find out that I can actually play 4K videos with up to 30fps and about 30-50mbps bitrate, depending on the encoding settings (only the decoder speed is limiting, all features are supported). The iPhone 6 is even more capable, even though Apple doesn't openly communicate it.

Air Video HD is currently the only tool that I know that can passthrough encoded MP4 movies to the iPhone without the need to transcode and it works perfectly fine for all other files, already. If you don't want to publicly release such a less restricted build, is it possible that you up reference frames to 16 for me to test it on my 5s (or in the future, more capable devices)? Since Apple always improves the capabilities with every new VXD decoder release in their SoCs, currently no one knows for sure what the actual limits are. Air Video HD makes it possible to test it, so it's a powerful playback tool for me.

#84 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

You can try syncing it through iTunes. Or put it on webserver (i.e. local Apache) and open it in iPhone Safari. Last time I tried videos with 16 ref frames, regardless of device, I only got black image. 

Btw. It's not really true that newer devices are always better than older :-/ Before A7 the devices could handle PAFF streams just fine, now they don't. There are also glitches when decoding streams encoded through VideoToolbox (OS X)with hardware encoder, we have a very nasty workaround for that. Although these issues are probably related to the middleware (part that talks to the hardware decoder), rather than the decoder itself.

#85 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:31 PM

You can try syncing it through iTunes. Or put it on webserver (i.e. local Apache) and open it in iPhone Safari. Last time I tried videos with 16 ref frames, regardless of device, I only got black image. 

Btw. It's not really true that newer devices are always better than older :-/ Before A7 the devices could handle PAFF streams just fine, now they don't. There are also glitches when decoding streams encoded through VideoToolbox (OS X)with hardware encoder, we have a very nasty workaround for that. Although these issues are probably related to the middleware (part that talks to the hardware decoder), rather than the decoder itself.

Yes, the limitation with PAFF, however, is not hardware related, since with iOS 7 on my 5s I was able to play them just fine, see the fixes that I supplied you the files for and we troubleshooted, which also was on my 5s back then. Only since iOS 8, Apple for some reason changed that in the APIs. I am not sure if that is the same issue, but when I transcode and force deinterlacing, they still work (or was that true only for REAL interlaced streams?).

Regarding the syncing / downloading:

So it is sufficient to upload the MP4 as is to a webserver (via FTP) and access the MP4 with Safari? Ok, then I will test this and report back. I am curious, since newer SoCs support H.264 and it's features completely. iTunes is a problem, since iTunes does a pre-check with some harcoded values and doesn't let you import (at least that's what happened when I tested it several months ago).

#86 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

If you can access it through HTTP then it will work. Please let me know if you get it playing. I'll test it myself and we can possibly lift the restriction for new devices.

#87 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

If you can access it through HTTP then it will work. Please let me know if you get it playing. I'll test it myself and we can possibly lift the restriction for new devices.

If time permits I am going to test and report back today.

Just FYI, Apple released Apple TV 7.1 update yesterday and it includes stability, performance and security fixes. If time permits I am also going to test and report back if there are any issues with 2.1.0. Maybe even some workarounds are not needed anymore with this new update (which I can't test).

I've already read online that two bugs seem to have been fixed with this update:

1) No need anymore to manually start the Apple TV with your remote before you can AirPlay to it, the Apple TV now wakes up automatically when you start AirPlay on your iDevice (bugfix)

2) Certain buffering/delays after starting AirPlay now seem to be gone (bugfix)

#88 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the tip with the webserver, this indeed works great to test the capabilities of the SoC!

I've just tested a freshly encoded file on the highest preset placebo and it plays perfectly fine on my 5s and it even works on my AppleTV 3rd generation, which I live-streamed to with AirPlay while I was downloading it from my own HTTP server. This is a very nice surprise, I fully didn't expect that the AppleTV 3 is powerful enough, apparently it is, I've just proven it.

Now, since the AppleTV 3 has an A5 SoC, that means that purely from a SoC perspective, every device with at least A5 should theoretically work fine, if Apple didn't artificially limit their APIs for certain devices.

I am currently in the process of uploading you the file, it's called 00000-1_10000_placebo.m4v. I've intentionally used a 10MBit bitrate on it, so that it's close to Air Video HDs 10MBit preset, but instead with maximized encoding settings for even higher quality.

EDIT: Upload done.

#89 sunk818

sunk818

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

Any update to play H.265 (HEVC, HEV1) encoded files? They take up much less space and I can play them fine on VLC 2.2.0 or Daum PotPlayer, but I can't get them to play on Air Video Server on my iPads.

#90 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

2.1.0 should be able to play HEVC file with VLC 2.2 (or appropriate directshow filters) installed. However you might need to clear thumbnail cache after upgrading the server, i.e. by navigating to

http://localhost:45633/clear/mediaInfo

#91 sunk818

sunk818

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:04 AM

I installed 64-bit VLC 2.2 and I'm able to get a thumbnail and not get the h.265 codec error, but it is stuck on loading... better than before, but not the result I was looking for.

#92 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:17 AM

I play H.265 videos just fine on my system (remote playback, not local). You have the 64bit AirVideo Server as well as 64bit VLC?

#93 sunk818

sunk818

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

I have AirVideo 2.1.0 beta 3 (64-bit). I also have VLC 2.2.0 (64-bit). AirVideo server said Loading.... for a while long and then seemed to play it. If I "convert" the H.265, it will play but after it converts it seems which can take many minutes. I just want it to play like a MP4 (h.264).

#94 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

Please send the logs from Air Video Server HD (Create Archive from Logs) to support(at)inmethod.com . H.265 is quite CPU intensive to decode (about twice as heavy compared to H.264), it is possible that the computer is not powerful enough to transcode smoothly.

#95 sunk818

sunk818

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

I'm getting that sense if others have no problems. I have a i3-350M 2.26GHz with 3MB l3 cache. Its an old Acer laptop.

#96 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:32 AM

2.1.1-beta1 is out

http://forums.inmeth...r-hd-211-beta1/

#97 xTIMMYxCOREx

xTIMMYxCOREx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:56 AM

I am running the latest iOS app and Server 2.1.0-beta3.

When I try to access the server from anyplace other than my own WiFi network it verifies the PIN, tries to get the remote address, and then mentions something about obtaining IP from Bonjour. Then it fails to connect and reports the server is offline. The server is online and I am accessing it locally fine at that same time. What confuses me is Bonjour is only for local, why would a remote connection try using that discovery protocol? Any ideas on how to restore what used to be rock solid remote connectivity?

Disappointedly,

Timmy

#98 davidfay1

davidfay1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

I am having similar issues with 'getting IP address from Boujour'. Once I see this I know it is not going to work. I am using a MAC Mini to run the server. I can usually fix the problem by turning the server off and on again, that's OK if someone is home in front of the screen but useless otherwise. However this does not seem to be a permanent fix and it will invariably fail again. Also sometimes if I delete the server on the remote access device (iPhone or iPad) and add it again it will sometimes work. I really would like a solution to this. I'm sure it is a simple fix but after some research on various forums I cannot get a permanent solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users