• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

Yes, offline conversion indeed works different. For live conversion we're not skimping on the bitrate, because (assuming network can handle it) there is no reason. For offline conversion the bitrate ultimately renderers to device space. So the priorities are different and the bitrate depends (amongst other things) on file resolution. Air Video HD is currently not the best tool for converting DVDs. There are some things in DVD files (such as timestamp discontinuities) that Air Video HD can't handle yet (there are plans to address this). So for converting DVDs I'd suggest you to use handbrake or something similar. It will also give you better control over encoding settings.

#42 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Yes, offline conversion indeed works different. For live conversion we're not skimping on the bitrate, because (assuming network can handle it) there is no reason. For offline conversion the bitrate ultimately renderers to device space. So the priorities are different and the bitrate depends (amongst other things) on file resolution. Air Video HD is currently not the best tool for converting DVDs. There are some things in DVD files (such as timestamp discontinuities) that Air Video HD can't handle yet (there are plans to address this). So for converting DVDs I'd suggest you to use handbrake or something similar. It will also give you better control over encoding settings.

Ok, thanks, that's good to know. I also accidentally just stumbled on one such file, where the ending of a series episode is included at the very beginning of the VOB file, while after the episode ends the next episode can only be played back when you let is play as is. Because if you suddenly skip while playing that VOB, Air Video HD seems not to be able to find a valid keyframe/timestamp to resume playback anywhere, playback just stalls and Air Video HD doesn't resume until you quit playback of that VOB file and manually mark that file as new (so you are able to play it back again).

Kinda had a hard time to decide on what method I use for backing up. I will probably use the .ISOs and mount them manually, since Air Video HD can't handle them directly. I absolutely want a 1:1 backup of my DVDs that are stored at my home cellar. I will probably make a second HDD with the MP4 files only, so I have the best of both worlds.

BTW, since you mentioned Handbrake:

Can you post (or via PM) what exact x264 conversion settings you currently use for 5120kbps and 10mbps so I can resemble that with Handbrake? Because they are perfect for my needs, no needs to tweak anything. At least that would let me continue, while you can work on improving Air Video HD. Thanks!

#43 Faris

Faris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:56 AM

Hello.  Seeing that there was an update for the Air Video HD app in the iOS app store, I decided to update the server as well, big mistake!  I was on version 2.0.5 I believe which has been serving me faithfully for awhile now, but as soon as I installed server version 2.1.0 beta 3, none of my videos would play anymore!  I kept getting missing codec errors on everything except a couple of wmv files.  I even reinstalled VLC 2.1.5 but that didn't help either! Finally I went and downloaded version 2.0.5 again, reinstalled it over the beta version, and that seems to have fixed the problem for me.  Did anyone else have the same issue?  thanks.

#44 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:06 AM

Hi,

please send the logs from Air Video Server HD (Create Archive from Logs) to support(at)inmethod.com . Is it possible that you have installed 64 bit server and 32bit VLC? (they won't work together. 64bit server would need 64 bit VLC; Assuming this is on Windows.)

#45 one

one

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Hello,

In this version (2.1.x), in the network.log file, the session information is missing. Can you please fix this?

Thank you for this great work!

#46 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

Can you past here sample of missing lines?

#47 one

one

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

Can you past here sample of missing lines?

Yes, these are the lines:

INFO  managerState ManagerState.cpp:82 - - - - - - - - Session 2 Begin - User: AAA, Device: BBB, Address: 111.222.333.444
INFO  managerState ManagerState.cpp:223  - - - - - - - Session 2 End

#48 PhilipW

PhilipW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:55 AM

I've just installed 2,10 beta 3 on my server that was working fine with my devices.

And as during my initial installation I'm back to getting codec errors.

I have cleared by thumbnail cache several times, removed and reinstalled vlc 2.1.5 64bit and rebooted many times, and have done it all over again.

Still getting the same codec errors.

Must be missing something. Help?

#49 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:02 AM

Hi,

it is probably due to cache files not being removed during new server installation. It will be fixed in next update installer. In the meanwhile you can try the following

1. Quit Air Video Server HD

2. Delete the Cache folder inside C:\Users\<your-account>\AppData\Local\AirVideoSeverHD

#50 PhilipW

PhilipW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:37 AM

Hi,

it is probably due to cache files not being removed during new server installation. It will be fixed in next update installer. In the meanwhile you can try the following

1. Quit Air Video Server HD

2. Delete the Cache folder inside C:\Users\<your-account>\AppData\Local\AirVideoSeverHD

I deleted the cache folder and restarted the computer. restarted the app on my phone. still have same problem. codec not found. I'll send you another log in a sec.

#51 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

Actually, from the log it seems that you are running 32bit server version. That would mean you also need 32bit VLC. Or you can uninstall the 32bit server and install 64bit version.

#52 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

The link to 64bit server is in the beginning of this thread.

#53 PhilipW

PhilipW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:11 AM

Actually, from the log it seems that you are running 32bit server version. That would mean you also need 32bit VLC. Or you can uninstall the 32bit server and install 64bit version.

For anybody following along, this is how my issue was fixed:

I had installed the update from the link on the page at inmethod.com. That link, nor download file indicates which version it is, 32bit or 64bit. It's not the 64bit version. The location of the 64bit version is not referenced on the page, I was directed to this page for it:  http://forums.inmeth...r-hd-210-beta3/

Deleting the 32bit version and reinstalling the 64bit version, and deleting the cache directory fixed my issue without needing to reinstall vlc.

cleardot.gif

#54 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

Hello admin,

as referred to in my above post here you suggested that converting with Handbrake is currently the better alternative to using Air Video HD for doing conversions.

Now, as I am very satisfied with the live conversion presets of 5120kbit and especially 10mbit (which I use daily), can you please provide me with the exact settings for the encoder that I would need to replicate in Handbrake to get the same quality for my conversions?

If I remember correctly, you said that you encode with x264 veryfast preset, but unfortunately there's no way for me to know the remaining settings, since they currently are hardcoded.

I also experiemented with QuickSync at 10mbit (I used Handbrake, not Air Video HD) and the quality is not satisfying at all (I used the balanced preset).

Thanks a lot!

#55 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

Just with this new update, I seem to be irregularly getting GStreamer errors, but only when live playing some converted HEVC files.  What log file can I provide to help troubleshoot this problem?

#56 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hello admin,

as referred to in my above post here you suggested that converting with Handbrake is currently the better alternative to using Air Video HD for doing conversions.

Now, as I am very satisfied with the live conversion presets of 5120kbit and especially 10mbit (which I use daily), can you please provide me with the exact settings for the encoder that I would need to replicate in Handbrake to get the same quality for my conversions?

If I remember correctly, you said that you encode with x264 veryfast preset, but unfortunately there's no way for me to know the remaining settings, since they currently are hardcoded.

I also experiemented with QuickSync at 10mbit (I used Handbrake, not Air Video HD) and the quality is not satisfying at all (I used the balanced preset).

Thanks a lot!

Providing the x264 options is a bit tricky, because we don't specify them like in the command line. We set the options directly to encoding configuration structure, so we're bypassing the x264 options parser. These are some of the options that are printed to encoder settings SEI in the resulting file

cabac=1 ref=1

deblock=1:0:0 analyse=0x1:0x111 me=hex subme=2 psy=1 psy_rd=1.00:0.00 mixed_ref=0 me_range=16 chroma_me=1 trellis=0 8x8dct=0 cqm=0 deadzone=21,11 fasG...t_pskip=1 chroma_qp_offset=0 threads=6 lookahead_threads=2 sliced_threads=0 nr=0 decimate=1 interlaced=0 bluray_compat=0 constrained_intra=0 bframes=3 b_pyramid=2 b_adapt=1 b_bias=0 diG...rect=1 weightb=1 open_gop=0 weightp=1 keyint=96 keyint_min=9 scenecut=40 intra_refresh=0 rc_lookahead=10 rc=abr mbtree=1 bitrate=1856 ratetol=1.0 qcomp=0.60 qpmin=0 qpmax=69 qpstep=4 iG...p_ratio=1.40 aq=1:1.00

but many of those are inferred (we don't set them directly). 

I'm curious about the 10mbit/s quality issues. What exactly was wrong? Also, which generation intel CPU do you have?

#57 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

Just with this new update, I seem to be irregularly getting GStreamer errors, but only when live playing some converted HEVC files.  What log file can I provide to help troubleshoot this problem?

That would be the transcoding.live.log

Maybe there is a regression. There has been some changes in how we handle different H.265 stream format. Are these issues reproducible?

#58 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

Yes, it is reproducible, and usually happens within 30ish seconds of beginning a video that has been converted to the H.265 format. Currently, any of my files that I've converted with this are unplayable. I've created a support ticket (#1265) with the transcoding log attached.

#59 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:33 AM

Thanks. I've replied. The only error I see in the log is error from QuickSync encoder. Does the problem persists when you disable hardware accelerated encoding?

#60 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:36 AM

Nope, if I disable that, the video plays just fine it seems!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users