• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:49 AM

Air Video Server HD  2.1.0-beta3 is available. 

Changes since beta2

• Many playback and stability improvements
  • Render RTL subtitles similar to other players
  • Note that as a workaround for certain Apple TV bug we had to rework certain aspects of live transcoding, so there might be regressions. 

Changes since beta1

• Fixed more crashes
  • Windows Server should run on Windows XP
  • Split transcoding log to multiple files
  • Added /clear/mediaInfo and /clear/mediaBlacklist URLs for resetting thumbnail 

Changes since alpha1

• Fixed crash when generating thumbnails on Windows x64
  • Improved download speed and reliability (partial depends on client update)
  • Fixed conversion/playback getting stuck at the end of certain MKV files
  • Support for VLC 2.2

Notable changes since 2.0

• Hardware Accelerated Transcoding for OSX and Windows. Yes, finally! Details below
  • I-Frame playlist support (Scrubbing on Apple TV)
  • Initial HEVC Support (in MKV and MP4, requires recent VLC)

• Configure outbound rules on Windows Firewall

• A/V Sync fixes when using certain DirectShow audio decoders

• Fixed framerate problem using LAVFilter MP4 video decoder

• Workaround for bug in when playback skips to next file after last subtitle cue

Download for Mac OS X (universal)

More information about hardware acceleration can be found here.

#2 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

Air Video Server HD  2.1.0-beta3 is available. 

Changes since beta2

• Many playback and stability improvements
  • Render RTL subtitles similar to other players
  • Note that as a workaround for certain Apple TV bug we had to rework certain aspects of live transcoding, so there might be regressions. 

Can you be a bit more specific with (1) and (3)?

I'm asking since I want to test the new build today (and also compare it to beta2) and it would be helpful to know a bit more in detail what exactly to look for (so you have some meaningful feedback).

E.x. what exactly does "certain aspects of live transcoding" mean? Is it about buffering, Apple internal stuff or just some "dirty workaround" for things that worked prior Apple TV Firmware 7.0.3?

Also, what exactly do you mean with playback improvements, is that also (pre-)buffering related?

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

Yeah, sorry, should have been more specific but it was late :) The workaround is for bug in Apple TV that causes subtitles to disappear after few seconds of playback and bug that causes video duration to multiply in Apple TV after seeking (these two are related). The possible regression is that sometimes after seek the playback would not resume (you'd have to seek again or restart the playback). I think I've seen this happen couple of times, but it's quite rare and very difficult to reproduce.

As for other fixes - the short mpeg ts videos that you have submitted should have thumbnails now, also the video that you've provided with broken codec data should work and few others. I also fixed regression where windows WMV9/VC1 decoder was not preferred anymore. Also some (infrequent) crashes when stopping playback and when quitting the app should now be fixed.

#4 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

As for other fixes - the short mpeg ts videos that you have submitted should have thumbnails now, also the video that you've provided with broken codec data should work and few others. I also fixed regression where windows WMV9/VC1 decoder was not preferred anymore. Also some (infrequent) crashes when stopping playback and when quitting the app should now be fixed.

Thanks.

As for the short mpeg ts videos, I just tested them again with beta3 and indeed they show thumbnails now, great work. They cannot be played however, not even with Force Conversion enabled (not sure if this is intended or fixable, though, since these files practically only contain either a single or just a couple frames worth of video).

Another thing that caught my eye is that when I browse the STREAM folder from a Blu-Ray on an HDD, sometimes Air Video HD shows "Failed to parse file." on some files. What exactly does this mean? Is that because it runs into a timeout? Because if I change the folder on the client and just re-join the same folder again, the very same files suddenly get scanned without problems. It almost seems like Air Video HD server analyzes too many files in parallel and then throws this message, because there is too much going on at the same time. Just to make you aware.

On the positive side, the above change now enables everyone to scan a folder with complete Blu-Ray content without any crashes and actually make you see if there is important content in a file without having to play it, which is very nice and a great step forward. It's just extremely user-friendly now.

The "6-Grayscale-Ramp.mp4" file still causes the "File has caused server crash." message with this beta. I can reproduce this every time. Is this supposed to be fixed in beta3?

Other than that everything works great, couldn't find any other bugs or regressions (even tested the Apple TV with newest firmware, works just fine).

I plan to give you updates in the corresponding tickets, too, I just didn't have time for that today.

#5 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

The short files are not meant to be playable. They only have one frame, we don't currently support that. That might change in future.

As for the Failed to parse file and File has caused server crash, how much of it is reproducible once you clear cache and blacklist?

(by visiting http://localhost:45633/clear/mediaInfoand http://localhost:456.../mediaBlacklist )

#6 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:29 PM

The short files are not meant to be playable. They only have one frame, we don't currently support that. That might change in future.

As for the Failed to parse file and File has caused server crash, how much of it is reproducible once you clear cache and blacklist?

(by visiting http://localhost:45633/clear/mediaInfoand http://localhost:456.../mediaBlacklist )

I basically take the following steps when I find a problem, to be sure I can reproduce it:

- Close Air Video HD client and Air Video HD server

- Delete all the .db files under "...\AirVideoServerHD\Data" (to be sure Air Video HD needs to create them again so there are no old entries present, this also includes the mediainfo und blacklist information)

- Start Air Video HD server and Air Video HD client

- Delete thumbnail cache on the iDevice under Settings

- Do the same actions I did when I encountered the problem

1) The "File has caused server crash." problem on the above file (6-Grayscale-Ramp.mp4) occurs every time I follow these steps. 100% reproducible.

2) I found out that the "Failed to parse file."  error actually seems to happen for different reasons, therefore I will be a bit more detailed this time.

The first reason is that there are some m2ts files that Air Video HD can't parse correctly (they have at least one frame of content) and therefore there's also no thumbnail created for them. This is also 100% reproducible. I have uploaded you the following samples, which are taken from two different Blu-rays for you to analyze (see archives 'failed_to_parse_file_m2ts_samples1.zip' and 'failed_to_parse_file_m2ts_samples2.zip').

The second reason, which I am not sure why it happens was described before, now I give you some more details:

I test with a folder where there are 11 files named 00000.m2ts, 00001.m2ts, ...  00010.m2ts. I found out that Air Video HD seems to open/read '00000.m2ts' first, then Air Video HD also reads/scans the other files simultaneously. When Air Video HD server does this, there is a lot of load on the local HDD (seeking/reading) and then after 2-3 seconds the error is shown for 00000.m2ts. Is it possible that because of the architecture of an HDD, this overloads the local HDD with scan threads somehow and the first thread that works on 00000.m2ts gets interrupted long enough so that it throws "Failed to parse file."? I came to this conclusion, since when I copy the very same files to an SSD folder, Air Video HD succeeds in parsing them 100% of the time. Not sure what additional info I can give you, since this is basically what happens every time for me.

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the update. I was able to reproduce the crash. I missed it before because it only happens on Windows. It was a bug in logging code and it will be fixed in next beta.

The mpeg ts files that you have sent me do not have PMT. Our demuxer absolutely needs PMT (program management table) in order to parse mpeg ts files. Which usually isn't problem given that PMT is mandatory. I'm not sure why it is missing from those files, maybe it is supposed to be delivered out of band (i.e. from other file) or maybe there is exception in bluray specification. 

Air Video Server HD does parse files in parallel, but we limit it on external drives and it shouldn't cause parse error (it might cause "file analysis took too long"). If the second files are same kind as the first, they shouldn't be parsed at all. The error, as explained above, is expected. What I don't understand is why the same files work for you on second try. That's very weird.

#8 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the update. I was able to reproduce the crash. I missed it before because it only happens on Windows. It was a bug in logging code and it will be fixed in next beta.

Great, thanks a lot!

The mpeg ts files that you have sent me do not have PMT. Our demuxer absolutely needs PMT (program management table) in order to parse mpeg ts files. Which usually isn't problem given that PMT is mandatory. I'm not sure why it is missing from those files, maybe it is supposed to be delivered out of band (i.e. from other file) or maybe there is exception in bluray specification.

OK, I just did some digging, too (TSDoctor and Transport Stream Packet Editor) and there is indeed something strange about these particular files. I am not sure how they could end up on a professionally mastered Blu-ray. Let's hope this is just a rare case.

Air Video Server HD does parse files in parallel, but we limit it on external drives and it shouldn't cause parse error (it might cause "file analysis took too long"). If the second files are same kind as the first, they shouldn't be parsed at all. The error, as explained above, is expected. What I don't understand is why the same files work for you on second try. That's very weird.

Since I couldn't recall something like this happening in the previous beta2 I did another test.

I did the following with beta3:

1) I deinstalled the Air Video HD client on the iDevice and Air Video HD server beta3 and restarted my PC and my iDevice

2) I reinstalled the Air Video HD client on the iDevice and Air Video HD server beta3

3) I directly changed to the directory with the mentioned files without doing anything else

4) Like already mentioned, when Air Video HD client scans the directory with the mentioned m2ts files _for the first time_ the "Failed to parse file." error happens (00000.m2ts or/and 00003.m2ts or/and 000004.m2ts give the error, all other files in the folder work 100% of the time)

5) Now I leave this directory and go up one level in the directory tree

6) I change the directory again to 3)

7) Now Air Video HD scans the m2ts files that previously gave the error "Failed to parse file." and does that without any problems whatsoever. The difference to 4) is that Air Video HD does only need to actively scan the files with the errors, the other files are already cached in the .db, so there is a lot less to do.

I re-did this whole procedure 2-3 times to be sure.
I then also scanned the m2ts files with Transport Stream Packet Editor and they don't give any errors (so I'm not sure if samples help).

I then removed beta3 completely (and rebooted) like mentioned in 1) and installed Air Video HD server beta2 and re-did my configuration. I also re-installed the Air Video HD client on the iDevices (download from iCloud).

Now, I started the beta2 server and the client on the iDevice, connected to the server and directly changed to the mentioned directory with the m2ts files. And, like I remembered, I could not trigger that problem with beta2. All the m2ts files in the folder will get scanned without problems. I also deleted thumbnails again, deleted the .db files in the server data directory and re-did this 2-3 times to be sure. It works flawlessly every time.

Is it possible that some of the changes you did with m2ts playback or rather thumbnail generation caused this? This seems to be a regression somewhere.

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Can you delete all db files and logs, load the folder once with beta3 (so that you get the parsing error) and send me the logs to support(at)inmethod.com ? Thanks.

#10 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

Sent you the log files. I also took a look at them and I found something in transcoding.analyze.log.

If you search for "00000.m2ts" you will find the following:

21:38:18 WARN  03 core.mediaInfo MediaInfoService.cpp:303 - - - - - Analyzing file D:\Blu-ray\A BugĀ“s Life (1998) Blu-ray USA 1080p AVC DTS-HD MA5.1\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts took too long, cancelling

So instead of "file analysis took too long" or something similar, Air Video HD seems to display "failed to parse file" in the client. Is that intended?

Is Air Video HD Server very sensitive to network traffic happening on the LAN<->WAN side, even when the server is just in the process of scanning files on the HDD? Because it sure looks like that to me. Since I also have some additional network traffic from LAN<->WAN and WAN<->LAN (livestreamer) installed on the same server, but with barely any CPU and HDD load. I had never thought of that, because I didn't run into that "failed to parse file" message before.

At least that could explain the problem on my side, since in addition to that my HDD is also WAY slower than my SSD, so that error seems to trigger. And in that case, would it make sense to up the timeout time for the analysis step by a tiny bit (only on local storage)?

#11 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

I have an i7-4770, with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 635, Windows 8. Should I be able to support hardware acceleration? I ask because both options are grayed out.

#12 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:10 AM

macman104, i7-4770 has HD-4600, so quicksync would be supported. However in order for that to work, the internal GPU must be enabled. It usually needs to be done in BIOS setup, newer motherboards have option to enable both internal and dedicated GPU. You can check Device Manager, the HD4600 must be present in order for quicksync to work. 

#13 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

I enabled it, but the options in AirVideo still remain grayed out.
Screen_Hunter_64_Feb_10_22_47.jpg

Screen_Hunter_65_Feb_10_22_48.jpg

Screen_Hunter_66_Feb_10_22_48.jpg

#14 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

1. Try updating Intel drivers

https://downloadcent...711&ProdId=3711

2. Does it work when you connect the display to Integrated GPU? It shouldn't be necessary anymore since Windows 8, but it'd be good to know. Air Video Server HD might need to be restarted after you reconnect the display.

#15 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

macman104, some people also seem to need to create "fake" display on the HD4000. I never had to do that to get quicksync working, but it might vary between configurations

https://mirillis.com...r_desktops.html

• myndon likes this

#16 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2572 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

Macman104, actually I have just noticed that I have exact same driver version on HD4600 and it works. Your nvidia driver probably can be updated though. And the "fake" display thing might make a difference on Windows 8. (I only tested this with 8.1)

#17 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

The fake display did the trick! By simply checking the boxes is it enabled, or is there anything else that I need to do. Let me know if there's anything I can test out for the hardware acceleration.

• myndon likes this

#18 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

@admin:

Regarding Air Video HD - QuickSync in general, what kind of encoding settings does Air Video HD server use in that case? Are they optimized for quality or how does transcoding work in that case?

Also, did you have time to take a look at my logs?

@macman104:

It would be interesting to compare quality between QuickSync and the 10mbit software transcode setting. Sadly, I don't have a QuickSync capable CPU. Personally, I really love the 10mbit software transcoding, it's practically transparent compared to the sources on my 46" Samsung TV.

#19 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

@Sunrise Will there be a difference in quality?  I thought this feature just speeds up how quickly the encoding process happens, not any difference in quality, or maybe I misunderstood your question.

#20 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

@Sunrise Will there be a difference in quality?  I thought this feature just speeds up how quickly the encoding process happens, not any difference in quality, or maybe I misunderstood your question.

Yes, that's basically what I am interested in. You understood it correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users