1 reply to this topic

#1 huangyihe

huangyihe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:29 AM

Hi,

AirVideo HD lets me choose streaming quality if the video is being converted on-the-fly, which is a great feature. However, for off-line conversion jobs, or "Convert Only" jobs in AVHD terms, the AirVideo HD server program automatically chooses conversion settings based on video resolution, which unfortunately isn't always optimal. For example, raw MEPG-2 videos in VOB format ripped from a DVD disc at 720x576 resolution will be encoded into H.264 at an average bitrate of 1100kbps, which is a little too low for fast-moving scenes, where compression artifacts are rather unacceptable. (Nevertheless, credits to AVHD developers for correctly handling de-interlacing by doubling the framerate, which many other competing software totally screws up...) It would be nice if future versions of AirVideo HD allows us to choose from a range of pre-set bitrate settings for those off-line conversion jobs, just as it does right now for on-the-fly conversions. It shouldn't be too much to ask since the feature technically exists somewhere in the current version, and it should just be a few changes to the H.264 encoder flags to change the bitrate.

By the way, despite the superiority of H.264 codec, I think we still need 1700kbps to preserve DVD picture quality.

As a closing line, AirVideo HD is a great video streaming program, and I'm truly grateful for everyone on the team making it real!

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

the bitrate should be higher in next update. However I think for interlaced files where frame-rate is being doubled we should increate the bitrate even more. 

• KennethShutt likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conversion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users