• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:41 AM

I'm getting ready for a trip, and I like to have some video to watch on the plane.  So a few hours, I queued up some recorded TV shows (four, to be exact) to download to my iPad.  I then closed the smart cover on my iPad (with AirVideo left open) and went off to do some other things.  Checking back a while later, I found that two of the shows had finished downloading.  The two remaining shows had been converted on the PC end (they were shown as completed in the conversion queue), and were still listed in the download queue.  However, there was no downloading in progress.  I then selected an additional program to be downloaded from the PC, and once I did, downloading of one of the earlier (already converted) shows started.

So is there some way that AirVideo can remain active if I'm not using the iPad and preventing it from going into sleep mode?  At least, I'm guessing this is what's going on.  With the older version of AirVideo (I don't remember which version specifically), active conversions and downloads seemed to prevent the iPad from going into sleep mode, but this no longer appears to be the case.

Doug

• hdfmpldz1, truddyFresy, Danielmn and 2 others like this

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

actually we offload the downloading process to iOS service that does download in background. So the app doesn't have to be in foreground or running at all. That said, the download doesn't always behave as expected, it is a known issue. We have some fixes for this scheduled for next client and server update. If they don't resolve the issues completely we we'll need to reconsider getting back to custom download (and thus keeping the app in foreground and active)

#3 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:06 AM

OK, so it sounds like sleep mode really isn't the issue then.  I had been trying to see if I could find a pattern to the failures, but the more I play around with it, the more I'm convinced that it's a more or less random pattern.  Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they seem to hang in the middle of a file, or stop in between files (with more in the queue).  And even when successful, the speed seems to vary (and at least on my home network, I would expect the speed to be fairly constant).  Hopefully your upcoming fixes will do the trick.

Thanks,

Doug

#4 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:12 AM

Not trying to be a nuisance about this, but I thought I'd give an update since the latest version of the app lists "improved download reliability" as one of the changes.  I installed the new version of the IOS app last night, and also installed server 2.1.0-beta3 (64-bit version) on my PC.  I'm still having the same issues with downloads - sometimes they work fine, and other times they hang for no obvious reason.

Doug

#5 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

Is this over local network or over internet? Does the download eventually resume? (I've seen situations when the download service kept downloading the file just didn't give us notifications for a while).

If the problems still persist for users we'll have to consider going back to custom download (and keeping app in the foreground), a the iOS download service might be too unreliable :-/

#6 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

It was over a local network, within my house (I haven't had a chance to try the new version remotely yet).

Regarding your second question (did it resume?) - the short answer is it did eventually resume, but only after some action on my part. Here's what I did, and the symptoms I observed as best I can determine:

- I started downloading a two hour TV program.

- I added downloads of two additional one hour programs to the queue.

- I left the iPad sitting unattended for a while (at least an hour, maybe more) - I left AirVideo in the foreground, but I closed the smart cover.

- When I came back to check on the status, the first two downloads had finished. Conversion of the third program had also finished, but the download appeared to be hung. I closed the cover again and left it like before.

- After another 45 minutes or so, I checked on it again. The download of the third program still looked like it was frozen. On the main screen, I tapped on "download queue". I paused the download, then immediately restarted it. The download started up again (and it started showing the download speed, which it had previously not been showing), and it finished downloading fairly quickly - within perhaps 10 minutes at most (I didn't time it).

Doug

#7 y3sh

y3sh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

I still have this problem, and my workaround is to restart my iOS device (several times). I download 3-4 movies at a time and I get a 14+MBps transfer rate for a few minutes. After that, the Air Video app hangs and just shows a black screen (no network activity). With a 2014 macbook pro, Apple airport extreme, and iPhone 6, I usually have great reliability with network transfers in all other settings.

Streaming is fine, but this is still an issue after 6 months of discussion. Any plans to move downloading to a foreground process? The current method just isn't reliable.

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

y3sh, does all of this still happen with latest server beta? 

http://forums.inmeth...r-hd-214-beta5/

Are the files that are being downloaded also being converted?

#9 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:30 PM

I installed the latest beta version (2.14-beta5) last night, and the downloading problem is still there. Same symptoms - works fine sometimes, hangs other times for no obvious reason, some downloads fail completely and have to be restarted, etc.

Doug

y3sh, does all of this still happen with latest server beta?

http://forums.inmeth...r-hd-214-beta5/

Are the files that are being downloaded also being converted?

#10 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Do the downloads hang in the middle (and never resume), or do they hang at the end?

#11 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:15 AM

Do the downloads hang in the middle (and never resume), or do they hang at the end?

They generally seem to hang in the middle.

Doug

#12 trindas

trindas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

Exactly the same problem here. The download starts, go well until the middle but, without any apparent reason, simply stops...

#13 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:49 AM

Would it be possible to bring back the foreground downloading capability (at least, I think you used to do it that way)? If background downloading is still considered desireable, perhaps both options could be available, and the user could choose which download method to use. At least for me, the ability to download files for later viewing (on flights, for example) is one of the most important features of this app, and the old download method seemed very reliable.

Doug

#14 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:48 AM

Doug, which iOS version do you have installed? We can revert to foreground downloads (even though it would mean rewriting entire download code), but what bothers me that with latest server (and latest iOS version) I can't seem to reproduce the problem, even though I tested it with hundreds of gigabytes of videos. 

Are the videos being converted during download (are they in conversion queue)? Does the conversion finish properly? Is the converted file in Conversion Folder and is it playable? Does the stuck download eventually resume?

There is one issue I'm aware in current client where the download will get stuck at the end, but it be finished as soon as next download finishes, but that's obviously not the problem you're describing since the download is getting stuck in the middle.

#15 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:44 AM

My iOS version is 8.4 (though I was also having the same downloading problem on earlier iOS versions).

Regarding the conversion queue and downloading - at least initially, the videos are in the conversion queue (and generally the first one is being converted and downloaded simultaneously). Conversion always appears to finish properly, the converted files are in the folder on the server, and are playable. Stuck downloads generally resume, but not on their own - I seem to have to "poke" the app (by pausing and restarting downloads, or adding something else to the queue, etc.). Also, downloads often hang even after conversion is complete.

The only consistent behavior I've been able to identify is that everything seems to be OK as long as I keep Air Video in the foreground, and don't let the screen lock kick in. Once the screen locks itself (or if I close the smart cover), or if I switch to a different app, I run the risk of having the downloads hang (though of course, they don't hang every time).

As an example of my download success rate - last night I tried downloading eight episodes of a particular program (I'm loading up for another trip). I started the eight downloads, and then left the iPad sitting while I did other things; I checked the status periodically. One of the downloads failed outright and had to be restarted (the converted file was still available, so restarting it did not add it to the conversion queue again). At bedtime, three downloads had finished completely, and five were left in the download queue (three were still in the conversion queue). When I got up this morning, the conversion queue was empty. Three downloads were hung, one had failed, and one had completed successfully. I restarted the failed one, and the hung downloads resumed again. When I left for work, the remaining four downloads were still active.

Doug

#16 dsreyn

dsreyn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

I think I've actually been having two related but separate problems - one is the hanging downloads (that can usually be restarted), and the other is the failed downloads.

I had another failed download last night, and I've had similar failures at least three times now. Last night, I attempted to convert and download a single program. Conversion and downloading were happening at the same time. The status bars in the app suggested that both processes were proceeding at the same speed (this was on my home network, so the download speed can easily match the conversion speed). Everything looked fine until the very end - when everything finished, the download showed as "failed". The converted file remained on the PC, and when I tried downloading the same program a second time, it downloaded quickly (since it did not need to be converted again) with no problem.

As I say, this is at least the third time that this has happened to me in the last week or so. The specific behavior seems to be when conversion and downloading are occurring in lock step, and (as far as I can tell at least) finish at (or nearly at) the same time.

I'm guessing that this is a separate problem from the hanging download issue (which seems to be independent of conversion).

Doug

#17 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:12 PM

There is a problem with the download service when finishing downloads of files that have been simultaneously converted (because the file size is not known upfront). It should be fixed in next update.

#18 mayo

mayo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

I have exact same problem, as described by doug.. Only way i can deal with this is "babysit" Air video HD and download 1 video at a time. watching it closely when it stalls out restart Air Video HD agian, and the download resumes. It works still but its not real convenient. I also think if you limit the downloads to 1 at a time it sure would help...

Nevermind, this has been fixed, after reinsatlling the app and my server.

• mayo likes this

#19 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:39 AM

Is this with latest Air Video HD version (2.1.1) and latest server version? Limiting to 1 parallel download wouldn't really fix this - for one, the iOS download service doesn't really respect the limit that we set.

#20 mayo

mayo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:57 AM

Yes its app version 2.1.1 (build 201.0101) and Air Video server HD (64 bit) version 2.1.3.. It works ok if i manually add 1 or 2 videos at a time, but it will stall out/ fail if i add like 4-5. Thats why i mentioned to add a 1 at a time que, i think it would solve the issues... maybe it the limits of my wifi on my router but anywhich way i wish i could set Air Video HD to just download 1 video at a time and QUE all the remaining videos beacuse i need to transfer like 30 files...and doing 1-2 at a time, monitoring my phone for hours, adding a few more every 15-25 minutes isnt much fun. (ill do it but, i wish it was a bit more of set and forget)

EDIT : I unistalled the app and the Server and reinstalled everything...and restarted my router.... After that i tried and sucessfully downloaded 9 videos(4 at once and 5 in que) , not one failure, or lag... Thanks i dont know what was wrong but it was it seems to be fixed now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users