Photo

AirVideo/AirVideoHD issues after updating AppleTV (Airplay)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

I have been a long-time fan and AirVideo/AirVideoHD user, using them almost on a daily basis with dozens of different file containers and codecs and have been very happy with it. One of the best apps, great usability, but also stability and with very nice advanced features that I have come across.

Now, yesterday, I have updated the Apple TV to the newest OS and suddenly, AirPlay is not working correctly anymore. I did this since I wanted to be up to date to do testing for the latest AirVideoHD releases and generate some useful feedback.

Watching natively on my iPad (iOS 6.1) or iPhone (iOS 8.1.1) still works perfectly fine, but when I activate AirPlay to my Apple TV the following issues appear:

1) VERY slow playback start (it takes ages until the AppleTV picks up the stream from the originating source, if it works at all)

2) If the Apple TV displays a picture from a video/movie, it starts to buffer instantly, while I can see that the router has more than sufficient bandwidth (I did not alter anything aside from the Apple TV update I did yesterday)

3) I cannot skip anymore, the iPad and the AppleTV playback are not "in sync" with each other, there is a delay of 4-5 seconds, while local playback on an iDevice it is almost instant

4) The video suddenly just stops

This is in a local WiFi with about 20Mbps real (not theoretical) bandwidth according to the AirVideoHD connection test. The AppleTV is located on top of a shelf and has a perfect signal according to the Apple TV GUI (under network -> signal strength) and since playback works locally on an iDevice at the same spot I have my Apple TV, there must be something seriously borked with the newest Apple TV update.

I even tried to troubleshoot of course, disabled Bluetooth, restored the AppleTV, restarting my whole network components. That didn't help at all.

Are there others having the same issues after they updated the AppleTV? Is there anyone that still can use Airplay without issues (and if that is the case, do you have an Apple router)?

How can someone make Apple aware of this? Because the AppleTV is basically unusable for me now. This is frustrating to no end.

As of right now, I can only recommend others NOT TO UPDATE the AppleTV firmware, it seems to do more harm than good.

@admin:

What's the state of your experience with Airplay? Does is still work reliably and fast on the highest settings (10mbps, native playback when bandwidth permits)? And are you using solely Apple Devices and Apple routers (e.x. Airport Extreme)?

• hdfmpldz1 and Uexpindy like this

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Have you tried cold restart of the iPhone/iPad? (hold both menu and power button until it shuts down). Regular restart (when you see the power off slider) might not be as effective.

The symptoms that you are describing are most certainly not general experience, even with everything updated to latest firmware. Something must be going really wrong for it to behave this way. 

Have you tried connecting the Apple TV via ethernet? Just to see if it makes any difference?

#3 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

Have you tried cold restart of the iPhone/iPad? (hold both menu and power button until it shuts down). Regular restart (when you see the power off slider) might not be as effective.

The symptoms that you are describing are most certainly not general experience, even with everything updated to latest firmware. Something must be going really wrong for it to behave this way. 

Have you tried connecting the Apple TV via ethernet? Just to see if it makes any difference?

I have also cold rebooted the iPad and iPhone several times, it does not help, unfortunately. There is currently no easy way for me to try ethernet (without buying a longer LAN cable just for this purpose), since my TVs are too far away for the HDMI connection, so I have to rely on WiFi.

So you're saying that even with the newest firmware on the Apple TV and iOS on the iDevices, it works as it did for you before? Is it loading as fast when you start AirPlaying as with older firmwares or does ist always seem to buffer large amounts of the file beforehand for some reason (before it even starts to play)? Does it buffer while playback for you when you are on the highest (assuming you have sufficient bandwidth)?

It would be great if you could confirm that (it's important that you test the highest settings in AirVideoHD, so we can rule out AirVideoHD), so I know 100% that this is not an Apple or application problem per se.

Also, as a possible side effect, when I tested the last AirVideoHD build (beta2) last night, it kept crashing several times and I had to restart the AirVideoHD server. This only happens when I Airplay to my Apple TV (which doesn't work correctly) for some reason, but not native playback on the iDevice.

I will try to investigate further, but that might take some time.

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I have latest firmware on most of my devices (including Apple TVs) and I'm not experiencing any of the issues you're describing.

I do have occasional problems with Apple TV not waking up, or Apple TV IP address not getting resolved when it is sleeping (as do some other users with latest firmware), but that can usually be fixed by just waking up Apple TV using remote.

#5 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Hi,

I have latest firmware on most of my devices (including Apple TVs) and I'm not experiencing any of the issues you're describing.

I do have occasional problems with Apple TV not waking up, or Apple TV IP address not getting resolved when it is sleeping (as do some other users with latest firmware), but that can usually be fixed by just waking up Apple TV using remote.

Yes, you can add the "Apple TV not waking up" to my list of new issues. Using a remote to wake up the Apple TV before playback fixes that.

Are you using an Apple router or a different vendor?

It's just very strange that Airplaying of videos that are embedded within a website works, while Airplaying from AirVideo/AirVideoHD to my Apple TV doesn't, I don't really see a pattern there. It could be some kind of weird router firmware / Apple TV WiFi incompatibility that got introduced with the new Apple TV firmware, but without looking at the exact code, it's very hard to figure out what the actual problem can be, since WiFi works flawless with everything else.

I am almost sure that using an Apple router fixes that, since Apple should (in theory) at least verify something like that internally, before they release a new firmware.

I will probably rent or buy an AirPort Extreme and report back to you. It's annoying that I can't give you useful feedback with the latest AirVideoHD releases with such a persistent problem, since I love how you improve the software with every release.

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

we mostly use Apple Airport routers (but also regularly test with other third party routers).

The difference between streaming from internet and Air Video is that Air Video streams between computers on your local network. Some routers can have problems with this even though streaming from internet works.

#7 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi,

we mostly use Apple Airport routers (but also regularly test with other third party routers).

The difference between streaming from internet and Air Video is that Air Video streams between computers on your local network. Some routers can have problems with this even though streaming from internet works.

Ok, so I bought an Airport Extreme (6th generation) with AC yesterday.

I didn't have a lot of time with it, will test some further, but that's what I found out in the short time I had:

1) I now have about 3 times the WiFi bandwidth compared to my other router at every location (near the AirPort I got about 65Mbps throughput with an iPhone 5s, tested with the included AirVideo HD app connection test)

2)  I am still not sure about stability, since I tried to play various file containers and formats, where either it took a very long time for some of them to even start (e.x. m2ts containers on a local SSD) or they didn't start at all, even after waiting for like 30 seconds

3) As a positive note, if they started (mostly files that are already in a native container/format) everything ran just fine

4) I have at least one file that is 1080p@60fps that makes the Apple TV stutter (it shows a picture/frame, then loads, then shows another, no fluid motion, just still pictures every 2-3 seconds), even though there is enough bandwidth to the Apple TV. This is not fixed if I lower the AirVideo HD profile, since I tried to force conversion, still the same problem.

5) When I was browsing through my directories of files, AirVideo HD server suddenly just stopped working loading the files, no thumbnails appear and everything still shows "Loading ...." (I waited for like 2 minutes for a directory with only 20 files in them) (all of my files are on local SSD storage, so it can't be I/O bound)

6) I found that seeking is often times problematic (could be file related, need to dig deeper into this)

I never had problem 2) (I am not sure about problem 4 or 5) with AirVideo HD before (with an older Apple TV firmware and iOS 6 on my iPad), it was just play and forget (it didn't hiccup once, only when the files own bitrate exceeded the WiFi bandwidth of the iDevices, but in that case I forced conversion to make it respect the 10MBit profile, which is compatible with everything).

I also encountered several crashes with beta2 with some samples (I will provide samples when I get the time) and for some reason, sometimes, when playing back various files in succession, the AirVideo HD app on my iDevices just froze while it was loading the video.

Just a quick overview, I will get more in-depth soon and provide you the necessary logs, samples and more accurate descriptions.

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

In playback log there is transcoding rate for every file that is being played. If the rate is below 100% it would mean the computer is not fast enough to transcode the file.

However if video is in H.264 and you don't force conversion (either using passthrough settings or "force conversion") the video should not be transcoded.

#9 Sunrise

Sunrise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

In playback log there is transcoding rate for every file that is being played. If the rate is below 100% it would mean the computer is not fast enough to transcode the file.

However if video is in H.264 and you don't force conversion (either using passthrough settings or "force conversion") the video should not be transcoded.

Ok, will have a look at the transcoding rate, e.g. for the 1080p60 file I mentioned.

Just FYI, I will continue with bug reports for beta2 in this thread:

http://forums.inmeth...r-hd-210-beta2/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users