• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:45 PM

Starting with Air Video Server HD 2.1.0 hardware accelerated transcoding through QuickSync is supported. For now it is disabled by default and needs to be enabled in Air Video Server HD Settings

ldpNUO8.png

Mac OS X

H.264 hardware decoding and encoding is supported on models with dedicated video encoder - these are models which also supports AirPlay Mirroring.

There is one caveat - only one transcoding session can be hardware accelerated, so if you transcode multiple streams (or another software is using the hardware) Air Video Server HD will fallback to software transcoding.

Windows

The computer must have Intel Core CPU with Intel HD Graphics 2000 or newer. That means 2nd generation, 3rd generation, 4th generation and 5th generation Intel Core CPUs are supported. 

You can check if your CPU supports QuickSync here

dNPg30M.png

Windows with integrated (Intel HD) GPU only

Accelerated transcoding on computers that only have integrated Intel HD GPU (HD2000 or newer) and no external GPU should work without any complications. Make sure that you have latest Intel drivers installed.

Windows with both integrated (Intel HD) and external (ATI/nVidia) GPU 

Here the situation is bit more complicated. In order for this to work, you need Intel HD4000 or newer and be running Windows 8 or newer.

1. Make sure that Integrated GPU is enabled in your PC BIOS setup

Check your BIOS Setup manual for instructions on how to do this. 

After this has been successfully done, you should see both the Integrated and External GPU in your Device Manager.

ugcfvho.png

2. Install latest Intel Drivers

The drivers can be obtained here.

3. Windows 8.0 seems to require "fake" display for the Intel GPU

3.1 Go to Screen Resolution

Right click on your desktop and chose "Screen Resolution"

kJNQQ0E.png

Click the "Detect" button

0w73Ti5.png

Selected detected display for Intel HD graphics and select "Try to select anyway on: VGA"

QsJUF4y.png

Click on "Apply"

QMlKuJk.png

Extend displays: Chose your main display, for Multiple Displays select "Extend these displays" and click on "Apply". 

Ifwi2tP.png

• truddyFresy, Danielmn, Josephhink and 3 others like this

#2 Cassus

Cassus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:07 PM

If having the same issue with W7 SP1 like I did, the phantom secondary works for this as well. Will find a less silly method and report back.

Also, not sure if you guys developing this are aware, but you can utilize a simlar and faster method by using the AMD/Nvidia hardware on performance cards. For those using dedicated GPU (on Windows at least) I think all you would have to do is call to the "default" display adapter for acceleration. I believe most any of them will do and they wont put any load on the CPU which you could still use for whatever else you may have planned in your bag of tricks. 

#3 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

nVidia and AMD have different APIs and thus need some extra work (and AMD performance/quality IIRC still isn't that great). Biggest issue is that in most cases there would be extra data transfer between main memory and GPU memory which would  reduce performance. Right now quicksync is the best performing hardware acceleration API.

#4 dburr

dburr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Is the Hardware Accelerated Transcoding code smart enough to know about file formats that hardware transcoding doesn't support (e.g. 10-bit H.264 Hi10P, H.265 HEVC) and run those through software decoding instead?

#5 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

Yes. It should always failover to software decoding.

#6 jaruzek

jaruzek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:46 PM

I have an iMac with Nvidia graphics card. I only ever stream from this to my Chromecast, so would it be recommended that I turn this feature on? What kind of benefits would I get? Thanks.

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

For videos that require transcoding you should get significantly lower CPU load with hardware acceleration turned on.

#8 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:01 AM

using AVHD for streaming to my apple tv 4.  all works great except when hardware accelerated encoding is enabled.  (decoding doesn't cause trouble)

The files that require transcoding are recorded over the air TV (USA ATSC) which contain mpeg-2 video and dolby digital 5.1 audio.  typical stuff.

with hardware accelerated encoding enabled the A/V sync is bad.  Intel HD4600 in use for quicksync.

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

Do you have latest intel GPU drivers installed?

#10 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

Do you have latest intel GPU drivers installed?

thanks, there was an update recently (October 26) that I needed but A/V sync problems still exist.  without hardware accelerated encoding it works well so no big deal.

#11 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

could you please upload sample file here? I have a computer with HD4600, I'll try to reproduce the problem. There really shouldn't be any A/V sync issues. If there are it would mean that the encoder sometimes messes up timestamp, definitely needs to be fixed.

#12 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

Hi,

could you please upload sample file here? I have a computer with HD4600, I'll try to reproduce the problem. There really shouldn't be any A/V sync issues. If there are it would mean that the encoder sometimes messes up timestamp, definitely needs to be fixed.

how large can a file be?

#13 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:48 PM

There's no size limit.

#14 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

There's no size limit.

maybe indicative of the problem but I can't upload a file.  it acts like it's going to upload but then tells me it's done in a few seconds.  this is a 5GB file, and network activity confirms no uploading happened.  the mediafire dialog says it can't determine file size.  maybe that's why?

one thing to note is that the bad A/V sync is only with 1080i broadcasts (CBS and NBC).  ABC shows seem to be OK.  I also have some video cam recordings at 1080i AVCHD that for some reason are being transcoded and A/V sync is fine with those.

#15 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

Which format is the file in? If it is mpeg ts you can just take a small chunk of the file (but preferably large enough so that I can see the A/V sync issues). Given that it only happens with certain files I'd really need sample file to reproduce the problem.

#16 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

Which format is the file in? If it is mpeg ts you can just take a small chunk of the file (but preferably large enough so that I can see the A/V sync issues). Given that it only happens with certain files I'd really need sample file to reproduce the problem.

that worked, you should have it now.  cut a 1.5 minute chunk with videpub.  thanks for looking into this.

#17 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the file. I was able to reproduce the problem. It seems to be a bug in QuickSync when generating decoding timestamp for 60fps encode. I should be able to create a workaround for this.

• cosmoxl likes this

#18 cosmoxl

cosmoxl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the file. I was able to reproduce the problem. It seems to be a bug in QuickSync when generating decoding timestamp for 60fps encode. I should be able to create a workaround for this.

any ETA on the fix?  thanks.

#19 kfagoora

kfagoora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:04 AM

I have a 2015 Macbook (12" USB-C model) with Intel HD Graphics 5300 and 1536 MB RAM allocated. I'm assuming the graphics chip supports QuickSync since it's a recent version, but the AVHD server options for hardware acceleration are disabled/grayed-out.

Any idea what the issue might be? CPU limitation (i.e. Core-M), maybe something in the software?

• Maukey likes this

#20 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2584 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

It's most likely software problem. Please send the logs from Air Video Server HD - Create Archive from Logs to support(at)inmethod.com  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users