Photo

How do I airplay from macbook air to apple tv?

apple tv

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 paulc

paulc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hi guys,

I used the old app A LOT to stream from my computer to the ipad. I have recentley just bought the new app and downloaded the new server software and have purchased an apple tv for my television.

I can't find any options on my macbook air or apple tv to stream to the apple tv. Is there a guide anywhere? I am hoping this can be done without the use of an ipad/iphone.

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

It can not be done without the use of an iPad or iPhone unfortunately. The only way Air Play can be used is to start playback on iPhone/iPad and then switch to Apple TV.

#3 paulc

paulc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Thanks mate, I did try it out with the ipad and it worked fine.

It would be awesome if there was an option on mac os to right click on a video file and select 'play to apple tv through air video hd' or something similar!

• eeyorenini likes this

#4 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

There is software out there that will do that, but you have the best software on your computer already - iTunes. Transferring your videos to iTunes. Then AppleTV accesses your Mac using Home Sharing of iTunes Library in File Menu  - Home Sharing. Simple as can be.

You may need to convert the video to iTunes format - I use iVI from the Mac App Store https://itunes.apple...402279089?mt=12

#5 RodgerW

RodgerW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

You could also use the free Handbrake to convert videos to AppleTV format.

And if you need a decent tagger: Subler has recently added iTunes tags (searching for tags/artwork from Apples servers). It also does a great job with subtitles and redoing mkv to mp4/m4v containers.

iMac 27-inch (Late 2013) • OS X 10.11.3 (15D21) • Air Video Server HD (2.2.1u1) • Air Video HD (2.1.4)

#6 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

iVI does this too - all in one app. Pulls all tag info from IMDB (Art work, actors, director, synopsis, genre etc…) then converts an MKV or AVI file you dragged into it, when it's done it imports it into iTunes if you want. If the file you have is already an mp4 or mv4, then you can just tag using iVI, drag into iTunes.

It really is an amazing App and the price is free. Can't beat that.

Before iVI,  I did use Handbrake, then went about tagging the file manually looking up the info (OCD about that stuff LOL) - very time consuming. I can drag in a bunch of files into iVI and overnight wakeup to them all done and in iTunes ready to go.

It's one of those apps that really impressed me, much like Air Video which I've been using for years. Just works. And anything that saves me time is great.

#7 RodgerW

RodgerW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

It really is an amazing App and the price is free. Can't beat that.

Not for me, it says $9.99 for me.

iMac 27-inch (Late 2013) • OS X 10.11.3 (15D21) • Air Video Server HD (2.2.1u1) • Air Video HD (2.1.4)

#8 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Not for me, it says $9.99 for me.

Oh - sorry about that.  I've had it for so long - over a couple of years. When I got it, there were two versions, iVI and iVI Pro. Pro was a purchase and  iVI free. They must have consolidated to purchase only.

Apologies. Still a great app and huge time saver for me.

#9 shaosean

shaosean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

If you want to AirPlay from a Mac to your AppleTV you can either use the built-in feature on the newer models or you can use http://beamer-app.com and it will transcode the videos to your AppleTV..

#10 jimbrechts

jimbrechts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Or you can wait untill osX Mavericks later this year?

It will have built in support to play to apple TV.

Don't know if this will mirror or otherwise..

#11 AlexTheStampede

AlexTheStampede

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Or you can wait untill osX Mavericks later this year?

It will have built in support to play to apple TV.

Don't know if this will mirror or otherwise..

Well, even Mountain Lion can do that at least on some Macs. As far as I know it requires an Intel HD video chip.

Other wise you could try http://www.airsquirrels.com/airparrot/ 

#12 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Oh - sorry about that.  I've had it for so long - over a couple of years. When I got it, there were two versions, iVI and iVI Pro. Pro was a purchase and  iVI free. They must have consolidated to purchase only.

I saw this update on macupdate.com. Video Monkey - this is the free software I used. Totally forgot about it till I saw this. It too works great, inputs meta data and converts. And yes it is free.

Sorry for my bad memory. So if people are on a mac - check it out if you want.

https://www.macupdat...67/video-monkey

#13 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Just came across this today in an article and it's available in the Mac App Store for free iFlicks - link to Mac App Store https://itunes.apple...408937559?mt=12

If anyone interested

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: apple tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users