• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kothra

Kothra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

Please add a global settings option for forcing hard subtitles, so that those who use it often do not have change the setting for each video every time.

• Larestads likes this

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hi,

I think we had this request before. Mind if I ask, what is the reason why you need to use hard subtitles?

#3 Kothra

Kothra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

I saw one request for it, in the same post as another request (here). The first request in that post was answered, and when the OP asked about the second, they were told to submit another request, but I didn't see a second.

I need to use hard subtitles because with what I watch there are often separate lines of subtitles on the screen at the same time, and with soft subs it can get very messy and difficult to keep track of. I did manage to put up with it when using the previous Air Video, but now that an alternative is here, it'd be nice to use that.

• Key likes this

#4 Key

Key

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

I saw one request for it, in the same post as another request (here). The first request in that post was answered, and when the OP asked about the second, they were told to submit another request, but I didn't see a second.

I need to use hard subtitles because with what I watch there are often separate lines of subtitles on the screen at the same time, and with soft subs it can get very messy and difficult to keep track of. I did manage to put up with it when using the previous Air Video, but now that an alternative is here, it'd be nice to use that.

I agree, hard subtitles are one of the best features of the new version, in my opinion, but having to enable them for every video is a bit annoying.

#5 oRBIT2002

oRBIT2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationGothenburg, Sweden

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Global setting aswell thanks. Soft subtitles usually ends up in strange sizes on my iOS devices, hard subs works alot better.

#6 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

Global setting will happen. However I'm curious about the strange sizes, could you take screenshots?

#7 oRBIT2002

oRBIT2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Strange size (well pretty big anyway) coming up with soft subtitles (iOS7)

https://www.dropbox....03 20 38 11.png

Seems to be related with the new subtitle-settings in iOS7 I just noticed..

iOS <7.0.2 had issues with subtitlesize. They had different size depending on the movieresolution. I think this is fixed now..

#8 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Strange size (well pretty big anyway) coming up with soft subtitles (iOS7)

https://www.dropbox....03 20 38 11.png

Seems to be related with the new subtitle-settings in iOS7 I just noticed..

iOS <7.0.2 had issues with subtitlesize. They had different size depending on the movieresolution. I think this is fixed now..

What size do you have configured Accessibility -> Subtitles & Captioning?

Not sure what you mean by iOS < 7.0.2. I have 7.0.2 installed now and the subtitle size still depends on movie aspect ratio. Air Video HD compensates for the difference on client (so subtitle size should be the same regardless of the video), but unfortunately there is no way to do that on Apple TV.

I've reported this to Apple many times, but for some reason they think it make sense that for letter boxed video the subtitles are significantly smaller. Go figure.

#9 oRBIT2002

oRBIT2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Ah so it's still there.. I didn't know you adjusted the subtitlesize, nice work. I used "large" for the screenshot.. I use "Large" because it usually looks good on AppleTV (last time I tried anyway).
The subtitleproblems with iOS devices has bothered me since the first day I got my iPhone 3G (back in the stoneage), back then (even until iOS6) subtitles were sooo tiny. I was so happy they finally integrated subtitle-settings in iOS7 but they obviously still have problems with it as we both have noticed. Annoying..

#10 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

So if you change the subtitle size on iPhone it affects the subtitle size on Apple TV? I don't think I have ever tried it, since Apple TV has it's own subtitle configuration.

#11 oRBIT2002

oRBIT2002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

I am not sure now when you've mentioned it.. I probably have changed the subtitlesettings on the ATV itself.. It's a mess really..

#12 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Well, either way I recommend default settings on iPhone/iPad (since Air Video HD will compensate for letter boxed videos) and large (if needed) on Apple TV. It's still not ideal, the step between medium and large is too big and the size change for different aspect ratios is annoying.

#13 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

This should be implemented in 1.0.3.

• oRBIT2002 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users