• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Glitch82

Glitch82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

I use Air Video HD quite a lot (and Air Video for even longer before that) and it would be really great if it had the ability to delete files. I use Air Video to watch a lot of downloaded media and I want to be able to delete it or at the very least hide it from view when I'm finished so I don't have to remote into the server via RDP or VNC in order to manually delete the files from Windows or via uTorrent.

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hi,

we don't allow any destructive changes from Air Video HD for security reasons. As a compromise we might add feature to flag files for deletion, but the actual deleting would have to be initiated from the server.

#3 Glitch82

Glitch82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hi,

we don't allow any destructive changes from Air Video HD for security reasons. As a compromise we might add feature to flag files for deletion, but the actual deleting would have to be initiated from the server.

If you truly cannot implement an optional file or folder deletion option that could be individually assigned to specific user in mult-user mode, then perhaps a compromise would be the option to hide files or folders of my choice.  I would use this to hide videos I have watched, including folders containing only one video file.

An option to always hide watched files or folders containing videos that are all marked as watched would be insufficient, because I might not necessarily always want to hide media I have previously seen, and because there are often times when I would want to hide media I have watched outside of Air Video HD.

#4 WalrusVideo.com

WalrusVideo.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:10 AM

Hi,

Agreed.  It's a fantastic media server/player, not a file management system.  The fact that it flags videos as viewed seems sufficient to me.  If you hid a file from Air Video, you'd then need to implement some way to un-hide it without being able to select it in the folder browser.  Makes for a lot of needless complexity, methinks.

Now an editable PLAYLIST... well that would be another matter altogether :-D

• Glitch82 likes this

#5 Glitch82

Glitch82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:24 AM

That would be really easy. The "option to unhide" isn't really as complex as you would believe. You just simply toggle an option to view hidden videos/folders, then once your hidden item appears you could perhaps tap and hold it or swipe across the item in order to untoggle the "Hide" option. Boom. Unhide without a complex file/folder management system. There's already a database in Air Video HD of objects, this would just be another data field which specifies a bit value for hidden and then the UI to toggle Hide for objects and the global switch for viewing/hiding objects already marked as hidden. Perhaps it could be listed under the "Show folders first" toggle in the List view mode.

#6 dkallan

dkallan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

This is so important to those of us with large media libraries. Not just deleting, but renaming, moving, even copying or creating aliases. Yes, destructive operations can be dangerous, but that is why it should be an "advanced option" that has to be explicitly enabled, probably in multi-user mode. The file system permissions would be respected, so some files and folders could set flags to prevent certain operations. See forums.inmethod.com/topic/95-air-video-server-advanced-mode-file-system-editing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: File deletion, delete, videos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users