9 replies to this topic

#1 Seiqo

Seiqo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

an option to run as a service would be nice.

I use wake on lan to wake up my server.

After waking it up i still need to login for airvideo server to start serving me.

Maybe running as a service can solve this?

I got an application called AlWaysUp to get .exe te run as a service. This doesnt work with air video.

Any ideas?

• Glitch82 likes this

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi,

we disabled server running as service because of issues with password protected shared folders. There's currently no simple way to run Air Video Server HD in background. We'll likely restore the option in future (as optional feature during installation).

#3 Seiqo

Seiqo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

we disabled server running as service because of issues with password protected shared folders. There's currently no simple way to run Air Video Server HD in background. We'll likely restore the option in future (as optional feature during installation).

Is there any update on this?

I (prolly we) realy want this option.

#4 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

I have previously requested this feature, and would really like to see this option be offered. I'm currently not using Air Video because it's utterly useless when I have to be logged in on my server to use it.

Right now I'm evaluating using Plex Server as that offers the same Online/offline features as Air Video and that can run as a Real Service. Only drawback is you have to spend some $ on access to the premium features. 

#5 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

We actually had this in the initial server version but had to remove the feature, as it caused too many issues with network shares. As far as I can tell there's no way the service can connect to a password protected network share (other than running the service under user account, which requires the user to enter password when configuring the service).

This is way too complicated in practice and it always break (i.e. when user account password changes the service password doesn't get updated) so we have removed the feature as it was too difficult to support. 

Until we have way to resolve this we won't be running the server as service by default. We might have an option during installation at some point.

#6 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:18 PM

I can certainly see the problem for the average user (if they are using network shares).
But given that most probably use local storage on the machine where the server runs, I really don't understand why you are not providing this option. My guess is that most windows AV HD installations runs on some sort of personal server anyway, and that means local disk.

Besides, a small guide could be published to assist users in setting up the login account if they decide to install it as a service and need access to shares.

I just don't get why youre not providing the option asap. It would only make your product better and more versatile. And you seem to already have written the code.

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2573 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

Right now the option is compile-time. We can either build server that works as a service, or server that doesn't. We don't have the code ready for this to be install-time switch. 

As for network shares, it's might be more common than it seems, lot of people have ReadyNAS or DiskStation.

#8 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

Okay, if it's a compile time switch and you already have it, i'm even more baffled why you are not making it available...
Just offer two versions of the server with one having a Warning disclaimer saying "for advanced users only" and then make a small note on the download page that says it only works with local storage and only runs as a service.

Just my 0.02$

#9 Keyser

Keyser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

Please consider doing a "run as service" edition of the installer for the new 2.1 build :-)

#10 Cuestrom

Cuestrom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

Hi.  Has there been any development on this issue?  I don't see this as an option in the latest 2.2.4 version.

I would really like to be able to run AVS as a windows service.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users