• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Welles

Welles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

+1 on this request, would be really nice and handy.  And, also have it support AirPlay and Google Cast support.

#22 omf

omf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

+1

Would love a desktop client or an SDK allowing others to write their own (of course, then you'd probably have to start charging for the server instead of the client as you do in your current model).

• adrummond7 likes this

#23 jmmo20

jmmo20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

I can't believe there's still no progress on this... :(

Any situation where you could use Air Video HD on an iPad while away from home... but wait you have no ipad and only a mac.. you could use a mac air video client on the go !!!

It obviously won't happy...

#24 NMBob

NMBob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

I'll vote for it. It would be handy.

#25 fdiaztorre

fdiaztorre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

I join the request.

I bought Air Video for iOS.
I bought Air Video HD for IOS.
And I bought Air Video HD for the new AppleTV.

Buy Air Video HD for OS X immediately.

Thanks in advance

#26 ikir

ikir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:30 AM

Really want it! It would be super handy for me, I've bought it for iOS and tvOS and I will buy it for sure for OSX

#27 jmmo20

jmmo20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:07 PM

it amazes me how stubborn the developers are.

Now there's even an apple tv app.

How hard can it be to do a client for hte mac app store !!!

I truly hate watching from a shared folder, something my wifi is not fast enough. But with air video from my ipad I never have a single issue. It always works perfect.

Not to mention those times when I'm actually away from home but using my laptop instead of my ipad!!

#28 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:17 PM

it amazes me how stubborn the developers are.

Now there's even an apple tv app.

How hard can it be to do a client for hte mac app store !!!

I'm not sure it's fair to say they are stubborn. It is the same reason they have not made an android version. The app has been specifically designed/optimized and created for the software/hardware and code features of iOS devices. So it would take considerable effort to adapt it. Without more manpower or resources to devote to it, I want them to continue making progress on the iOS app rather than splitting attention.

With that said, I'm totally with you, I'd love a mac app version too! It would be super handy to have the option of streaming to my macbook air, when that is more available sometimes than my phone or ipad! So, maybe one day they will make it :)

#29 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2582 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:13 AM

One of the issues here is (apart from other priorities) is that Mac Appstore is a mess. If we had desktop version it would need to be sold outside of the store. So having a Mac version would involve lot more effort than doing just the app. 

#30 jmmo20

jmmo20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

how is the mac app store any different from the iOS app store?

#31 jmmo20

jmmo20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

I say stubborn because a lot of earlier replies were along the lines of:" if you have a mac, access a network share".

there are many reasons why that might not be viable, but being physically on a different LAN is one of them. The other is bandwidth.

Any scenario in which you use an ipad with airvideo, can also apply if you happen to be on a mac laptop instead of an ipad.

I'm not sure it's fair to say they are stubborn. It is the same reason they have not made an android version. The app has been specifically designed/optimized and created for the software/hardware and code features of iOS devices. So it would take considerable effort to adapt it. Without more manpower or resources to devote to it, I want them to continue making progress on the iOS app rather than splitting attention.

With that said, I'm totally with you, I'd love a mac app version too! It would be super handy to have the option of streaming to my macbook air, when that is more available sometimes than my phone or ipad! So, maybe one day they will make it :)

#32 kfagoora

kfagoora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

Unfortunate to hear that a MAS version would not be possible (I'm assuming due to sandboxing?).

That said, I would definitely purchase a Mac Air Video client app outside the MAS, as long as it's the same quality and performance I've experienced with all the other In Method products. $9.99? Immediate purchase, no hesitation.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the AppleTV Air Video app; we use it almost every day at home! I'll really miss it when I have to travel for business next month... it seems like the only solution would be to buy another AppleTV for travel (assuming it could join those hotel wi-fi gateways that require login via webpage, which seems doubtful as I understand there's no built-in web client/web-view available on AppleTV) or resign myself to watching videos on my iPhone--that is, unless a Mac client becomes available at some point :(

#33 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2582 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:52 PM

Sandboxing is one of the issues. The Mac Appstore does seem to be in pretty bad shape

http://mjtsai.com/bl...-mac-app-store/

#34 krause28

krause28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

Boy do I agree.  I travel with my macbook air, and I would love to just be able to open an app on the laptop instead of my iphone 6 plus.  Here is just one option that might work for people.  This is something I did.  Since I wanted to watch my content on my macbook.  You can purchase Airserver.  It is $15 unless you are a student you can get it cheaper.  This allows you to airplay anything to your macbook or windows machine.  On the mac you can even do this over bluetooth.  The quality is perfect.  You open airvideo on your iphone and then select your macbook with airplay.  When I am on the road, I will usually download the movie before I leave, so you don't have to rely on spotty wifi.

#35 jmmo20

jmmo20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:32 AM

so develop a version outside the MAS.

I would pay up to $20 for such app.

#36 airvideohdserver

airvideohdserver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:37 AM

Add me to that list, I'd get the AirVideo App for OSX anyday, and pay for it (it's worth it at any cost) - doesn't have to be from the Apple App Store.

#37 Rainman Noodles

Rainman Noodles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

My 2 cents on the issue:

I have a media server, and I can access everything from my iPad or iPhone easily. If I want to access the same files from my laptop, I have to use AFP/SMB (inconsistent) or SFTP to download the file to local storage. It's a technical process and it's not instant start. Streaming over those protocols is out of the question of course. I've tried it. It's full of fail. You also lose the benefit of realtime bitrate conversion when you're on a slower connection.

I've actually written my own crude web-based streaming client, but it doesn't do conversion (the files have to be streaming-friendly), it has no browser, it has no unplayed indicator, it requires that I know the file's exact name, and it further requires that all the files are accessible to the web server. None of these things are ideal, and I really want a better solution.

Please make a Mac client. We'll all love you guys for it.  :wub:

P.S. The Mac App Store isn't all bad, specifically if you have software that doesn't need special privileges. A media player wouldn't have any issues. I'd be perfectly happy paying you directly, though.

#38 selfagency

selfagency

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

+1 on this request, but what I'd say is, I'd be happy with a browser-based app that was built into the server software (similarly to PLEX) and then wrapped in Electron or something so that it can be a desktop app. 

#39 Ludatyk

Ludatyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:05 AM

+1 for me as well. Since they have iPhone app, Apple TV app & iPad app.. there should be a Mac app in the mix.

It's a no brainier to create a Mac Client.... Plex has a lot of clients available to users, It would help to bring more competition.

#40 johncatalano

johncatalano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:23 AM

Been using Air Video for many years and registered today to say, "me too" to this thread.

All I want is a simple UI for my Apple Remote to browse, play, pause, and maybe seek.

XBMC, Plex, etc... all overkill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users