• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tbar999

tbar999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Just posted the following message to the general forum, and then received a response (copied below) from one of your admins asking me to post it on the features forum. See below:

I am a long-time user of Air Video. Have just downloaded and started testing the HD version (Windows 7 server with various IOS 6 client devices). I run Air Video against various folders in my iTunes directory. Have noticed one major problem: when confronted with a DRM file, Air Video HD no longer does what Air Video does: handoff such files to Safari (if you so request). Instead Air Video HD delivers an error message. Is this simply a feature you haven't gotten to yet? Or is it a bug? Or have you decided to drop this feature? If the latter, I will be seriously bummed. I buy my videos from many (all legal!) sources. I don't want to have to use one viewing tool to manage playback of m4v files and another to manage playback of DRM files.

Thanks in advance for answering my question!

#2 icon_share.png admin

Administrator

Posted Yesterday, 08:56 PM

Hi,

I had no idea anyone was using this. I completely forgot about the feature. Please file a feature request.

#2 Danny

Danny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

My kids called me about this too. They use Air Video for years. Accessing everything from my iTunes Server. They called and said I can't watch season x n ow. GO back to original Air Video please.

Please this feature must be put back in an update.

#3 sjk

sjk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationEugene

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

GO back to original Air Video please.

Why don't you reinstall Air Video if you still need to use it? From Air Video HD vs Air Video:

Air Video Server HD and Air Video Server can be running on same computer side-by-side.

Please this feature must be put back in an update.

Just because you insist? :rolleyes:
Air Video HD 1.0.2 (iPad 2 [iOS 7.0.2]), Air Video Server HD 1.0.9 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.5]), 802.11g/n WLAN

#4 macman104

macman104

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

Why don't you reinstall Air Video if you still need to use it? From Air Video HD vs Air Video:

Air Video Server HD and Air Video Server can be running on same computer side-by-side.

Just because you insist? :rolleyes:

In fairness SJK, this is a forum for feature requests, and if it was something that in the previous version, I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to ask for the feature to please be added back in...they did even say please...

#5 sjk

sjk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationEugene

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

I was commenting on Danny's "must be" insistence, which sounded more like a demand than asking to me, later acknowledging his kindly asking elsewhere.

At least as a temporary workaround it might be possible for him to use HD and non-HD server/client versions.
Air Video HD 1.0.2 (iPad 2 [iOS 7.0.2]), Air Video Server HD 1.0.9 (Mac mini [Early 2009, OS X 10.8.5]), 802.11g/n WLAN

#6 Fabrice

Fabrice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Good day to all

Just to give my +1 to Danny's request.

I have been using extensively Air Video for a couple of years from hotel rooms and airport lounges around the world and I loved that I did not have to remember which movie was burnt from a DVD or bought on iTunes.

The new version's download feature is a great addition to a marvelous app, but I sorely miss the "stream DRM-protected movie to Safari" trick.

I will use for the time being the 2-server-app work around suggested by another user, but obviously having everything in one app would be a much more satisfying user experience - to the point that the native Video app would disappear deep inside a folder on my iPad.

Salutations and keep up the good work,

Fabrice

#7 Jkozi

Jkozi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

I created an account just for the purpose of +1'ing this feature request.  In the meantime I will run as SJK recommends, using both HD and non-HD servers/apps.  A temporary set back if I want to stream The IT Crowd or Doctor Who episodes.  LOL!

The reason I love and use this feature and use it HEAVILY over the Apple "Videos" app, is because the Apple application just chokes on my video collection.  Trying to open my Shared video collection from iTunes is a nightmare to say the least.  InMethod has this down, a one stop place for all my (legally owned) 467 movies and 3849 episodes of TV.  No waiting, no crashing.

As the requester of this feature request said "You folks could teach Apple a few things in this area".  I couldn't have said it better.  I bury the Apples Videos app in folders because it is awful, and I have Air Video (and now Air Video HD) on the home page of my 5 iOS devices instead.

Air Video/Air Video HD are awesome, must have apps.

#8 etiennegadient

etiennegadient

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:32 AM

+1 on this feature request for me too please.

#9 cynicalzombie

cynicalzombie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

I'd like this feature back too.   I thought the jump to the newer HD version would give me more features, not less.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Handoff, Safari, DRM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users