8 replies to this topic

#1 gyre

gyre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Would it be possible to easily change the audio sync delay for playing a particular video?  I realise this might not be possible at the client side, but could possibly be done at the server side.

I have some videos where playing back through airvideo gives a constant but noticable audio sync delay.  In addition, if I use bluetooth headphones, that also seems to add further to the audio sync delay from my ipad.

Alternately, is there a reason why converting a HD x264 transport stream would give a slight audio sync delay?

Thanks!

-- gyre --

#2 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

TS file (if properly muxed) should not introduce any delay. I'm not sure about the headphones. They could introduce the delay but I'd assume that the system knows how to compensate for it, but perhaps not. If you can upload the file to 

http://www.mediafire...54ce133b8c0cb0b

I can check.

#3 gyre

gyre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

What's the best way of selecting a small chunk of video to send to you?  As it might take a while to send a 5GB 1hr episode  at 400kbps :)

#4 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hi,

if it is mpeg ts you can cut it pretty much anywhere and just send me a part of it.

#5 Riz

Riz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

Love the product, use it almost every day. Just to add to gyre's request... I usually use headphones or wired speakers with my iPad but I just got a new Bose Soundlink mini and I'm trying to use it via Bluetooth but there's an inherent 100-150 millisecond lag with the bluetooth tech.  The desktop VLC client has a sync delay adjustment for it.  Wondering if that's something you can introduce in an update.  Thanks.

#6 shenzi

shenzi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Ditto the request.  When outputting to anything bluetooth, the audio will inevitably be slightly delayed.  As for the suggestion by the admin that bluetooth audio systems should compensate for it, you are misunderstanding.  The bluetooth system is processing the input stream and already outputs as fast as it can -- the processing introduces the 100-200ms delay.  If the source doesn't wait, the bluetooth device cannot possibly catch-up, since it cannot output sound that it hasn't received yet.  Thus, video needs to be delayed at the source.

#7 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

My assumption was that AVPlayer (iOS Media Player) should know about the delay and compensate for it, but obviously that's not happening. 

#8 aqhong

aqhong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

Adding my support to this request. I'm experiencing a significant audio delay when using Bluetooth headphones/speakers, but I've only noticed it in two apps so far: Air Video HD and AVPlayerHD (which offers manual audio delay adjustment). There's no delay when playing videos in Safari or any of the Youtube apps I've tried, though, which makes me think it isn't completely caused by Bluetooth hardware.

In any case, the inability to compensate for the audio delay is a deal-breaker for me, even though I love everything else about this app... would love to see this feature in a future release.

#9 admin

admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2585 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

Safari, youtube apps, native movie app, etc all use the iOS AVPlayer component in same way Air Video HD does. It is rather strange that you get proper A/V sync in one and not in the other.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sync, audio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users